Excel chart does not plot entire data series

Hoozits

I have a chart with two vertical axis that charts up to four data series. There is one horizontal axis, but the ranges of each data series may be longer or shorter than the others.

Here is an example function for one of the series

Code:
=SERIES("GOOGL P/E ratio relative to an index (right axis)",'DATA-Index'!$A$154:$A$256,'DATA-Internet'!$BH$154:$BH$256,3)

Notice that this series is 256 - 154 + 1 = 103 data elements long for both the series itself and the points used for the horizontal axis (which happen to be dates). However, the chart that gets generated displays only 30 of the points. When I right-click on the series, and choose Select Data and click Edit for both the Series and the horizontal axis labels, all 103 points get highlighted. So what gives?

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
There are actually 3 series, but here is another one

Code:
=SERIES("FB P/E ratio relative to an index (right axis)",'DATA-Index'!$A$154:$A$256,'DATA-Internet'!$AS$154:$AS$256,2)

Thanks for replying. I am doing a little more homework on this, and it appears as though I may be asking too much of excel to have multiple series of multiple lengths on the same chart. Could that have something to do with my problem?

Upvote 0
Here is the third

Code:
=SERIES("LNKD P/E ratio relative to an index (left axis)",'DATA-Index'!$A$227:$A$256,'DATA-Internet'!$BW$227:$BW$256,1)

Upvote 0
You have all 3 now. It appears as though when I plot series where two are of one length and the other is of a different length on two x axis and two y axis, then I am okay. Where I run into trouble is when I have 3 series, all of different length, the chart seems to break down. It's almost like excel would need a third x axis in order to do that, but I am a little green when it comes to charting in excel, so I am unsure if this is a true limitation or if there is something else I need to do.

Upvote 0
That is a tougher question. Someone else created the chart. Looks like it is a saved template. I was just asked to write code to populate the chart when certain parameters were entered into certain cells.

Upvote 0
It appears as though some chart types handle my situation better than others. For instance, I have the best luck when I chart the series as an XY Scatter. Could that possibly have anything to do with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back