PowerPivot For The Data Analyst: Microsoft Excel 2010
The World's Introduction to Power Pivot
I saw my first demo for Power Pivot at Microsoft in November 2008. I knew this would change everything and I knew that I would write this book. Written about the original Power Pivot add-in for Excel 2010, the concepts are stil important for anyone who is ready to move from Excel to Power Pivot.
- 336 Pages
- Publisher: Que Publishing
- ISBN: 978-07897-4315-2
Business intelligence (BI) tools make it possible for companies to gain deep, actionable insights for faster, better decision-making - and greater competitiveness. Until recently, however, access to BI has largely been restricted to experts using complex, specialized tools.
With PowerPivot for Excel 2010, Microsoft has changed that. Together with SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft's new SharePoint Analysis Services, PowerPivot makes advanced business intelligence available to any mainstream business user working with Excel 2010. Of course, having the tools isn't enough: you must learn how to use them. That's where PowerPivot for the Data Analyst comes in. In this book, legendary Excel expert and instructor Bill Jelen shows exactly how to use PowerPivot to gain deep, actionable insights for more effective business decision-making. Using concrete examples and real-life scenarios, Jelen walks through setting up PowerPivot and integrating multiple data sources; creating and sharing dynamic dashboards; slicing and dicing to perform fast, interactive, ad hoc analyses; leveraging Excel's familiar features in advanced BI applications; and much more. This book is part of the new MrExcel Library series.
- The first book on PowerPivot, the breakthrough Microsoft technology that can extend business intelligence to any Excel user.
- Use PowerPivot, SharePoint Analysis Services, and Microsoft SQL Server together, to slice and dice huge amounts of data, and create and share powerful business models.
- Written by Microsoft MVP Bill Jelen ("MrExcel"), as part of his new MrExcel Library series.
About MrExcel Library
Every book in the MrExcel Library pinpoints a specific set of crucial Excel tasks and presents focused skills and examples for performing them rapidly and effectively. Selected by Bill Jelen, Microsoft Excel MVP and mastermind behind the leading Excel solutions website MrExcel.com, these books will
- Dramatically increase your productivity—saving you 50 hours a year or more
- Present proven, creative strategies for solving real-world problems
- Show you how to get great results, no matter how much data you have
- Help you avoid critical mistakes that even experienced users make
- Chapter 1 - Downloading & Installing PowerPivot
- Chapter 2 - The Promise of PowerPivot: Case Study of Building a Pivot Table with Power Pivot
- Chapter 3 - Why Wouldn't I Build Every Future Pivot Table in PowerPivot?
- Chapter 4 - Getting Your Data Into PowerPivot
- Chapter 5 - Creating & Managing Relationships
- Chapter 6 - Using Data Sheet View
- Chapter 7 - Building Pivot Tables
- Chapter 8 - Cool Tricks Native to Pivot Tables
- Chapter 9 - Managing The Multiple Pivot Layouts & Slicers
- Chapter 10 - Using DAX for Aggregate Functions
- Chapter 11 - Using DAX for Date Magic
- Chapter 12 - Cool Things You Can do With PowerPivot
- Chapter 13 - Final Formatting: Making The Report Not Look Like Excel
- Chapter 14 - Upgrading to PowerPivot Server
- Appendix - More Resources