athletics timer

jammoca

Banned
In column B I would have several athlete names

In column A I would have a check box for each name in column B

Above all these, I would have a single button that, when pressed, starts a stopwatch

In column C I would have (beside each name) a button, that when pressed, calculates the time elapsed since the start button was pressed and sends that time into the corresponding cell in column D (only for those athletes who have their checkbox checked ).

I have viewed some of the other programs mentioned in this site, but none of them allocate a time specifically to a given athlete. I prefer this kind of setup.

I have played around with time-stamping and time differences before, but it's been quite a while and I've forgotten much of what I knew to do.

So, I have a few queries :

1) should I be using Active X Controls or Form Controls for this ( I'm not using a Form, just the spreadsheet itself)
2) when I played with all this in the past, I was unable to get the time difference to record as accurately as tenths or hundredths of a second .. eg: I would like to time an athlete over perhaps, 11.27 seconds .. I'm aware of the slight inaccuarcy of using the computer clock in determining these times, but can live with that.
3) can someone dream up the formulae I would need for my two button types (the single start button, as well as the multitude of stop buttons ( one for each athlete in the list ).

There's a beer or three in it for anyone who might be able to help me.

Kind regards,

Chris

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subhash Chand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back