Automatic solving Markowitz in Excel

nillie

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
We are going to find out what the optimal portfolio weights, return and standard deviation for each month of our dataset, and store these values. The method we use to find these results are Mean-Variance/ Markowitz optimization, where max the Sharpe ratio in Solver.

We want to base the mean returns/ called "Expected Returns" in the excel sheet on the previous 24 observations at each point, meaning that the first optimization we will run will be for 1972-01-01, based on monthly data between 1970-01-01 to 1971-12-01. Then for the next month (1972-02-01) it will move accordingly down one row, so that the mean will now be based on monthly data between 1970-02-01 to 1972-01-01. And so on so forth, until we reach the end.

Our problem is that we have a file that has a total of 181 lines, and it is to time-consuming to manually run the Solver so many times (also in terms of the data-quality there are many possibilities for us to do something faulty). We also need to do this for several more time-series and set more constraints, so in total we would need to manually run it almost 4000 times.

We tried writing a code that runs the Solver automatic, and then storing the weights under the table called "Weights": starting from row 27 and onward. However, the code will not run as I do not really understand how to use offset in combination with a function calculation.

I am attaching a print-screen of our excel sheet with and without formula references, what we run in the Solver + the VBA code that I tried writing. We would really appreciate it if someone could give us a nudge in the right direction!

VBA Code:
Sub Marko()

Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To 180

' Variance-Covariance matrix
Range("J13").Select ' Selecting the cell where we want the Variance-Covariance VBA to start to run
Application.CutCopyMode = False
ActiveCell.Formula2R1C1 = "=VarCovar(RC\[-7\]:R\[23\]C\[-3\])".Offset(1,0).Select  ' The first 24 months and then move 1 row down each time

' Expected return
Range("J11").Select ' Selecting the cell of the first mean-returns that needs to be calculated (SMB)
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=AVERAGE(R\[-8\]C\[-7\]:R\[15\]C\[-7\]).Offset(1,0).Select" ' Calculating the average of a 24 month window
Range("J11").Select
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("J11:N11"), Type:=xlFillDefault '' Dragging the formula to calculate the average for the other assets
Range("J11:N11").Select

' Standard deviation - doing pretty much the same as for mean-returns
Range("J12").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=STDEV.S(R\[-9\]C\[-7\]:R\[14\]C\[-7\]).Offset(1,0).Select"
Range("J12").Select
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("J12:N12"), Type:=xlFillDefault
Range("J12:N12").Select

' Solver
SolverReset

SolverAdd CellRef:="$J$14", Relation:=2, FormulaText:="1" ' Constraint where all the weights in total need to equal 100%
SolverOk SetCell:="Sharpe", MaxMinVal:=1, ValueOf:=0, ByChange:="Weights", _
Engine:=1, EngineDesc:="GRG Nonlinear" 
' Also checking of for Non-negative results so that we get a portfolio of only "Long" weights

SolverSolve

' Approve the solution and avoid the popups
SolverSolve userFinish:=True
SolverFinish KeepFinal:=1

' Copy-Paste resultater
Sheets("First ts").Range("I27:O27").Offset(i, 0).Value = Sheets("First ts").Range("J13:P13").Value

Next i

End Sub

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 16.06.58.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 16.06.58.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 16.30.32.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 16.30.32.png
    175.1 KB · Views: 33

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back