Automaticaly stop at the margin and wrap-text as if it's a full screen cell?

mikeyates

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm auto-referencing a survey into a report.
Some of the answers are really long, but they're just one cell.
I can't wrap text, because it's just one cell.
I can't adjust that column, because I have other content in that column.

Right now, I'm inserting a row under the ugly row, merging all of the cells, and formatting them to wrap, and then pasting the formula necessary to input the data needed.

It'll work, but I was wondering if there was a way to automate this.

Here's what the ugly report looks like.

1698095263514.png

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
And the good report would look like what?
Don't understand why you say you can't wrap because it's one cell. If you're merging cells in columns to make things fit, then it can't be because a cell with wrapped text makes for a taller row unless maybe you want a tall merged cell and nothing in the rest of the row below. So describing what you want doesn't really work for me.

If this ends up being about a way to wrap text on new lines by inserting linefeed/carriage returns then I can only envision a complicated code solution. You'd also have to use a fixed width font because "wow" and I'll are both 3 characters but the words are not the same width in most fonts.

Upvote 0
And the good report would look like what?
Don't understand why you say you can't wrap because it's one cell. If you're merging cells in columns to make things fit, then it can't be because a cell with wrapped text makes for a taller row unless maybe you want a tall merged cell and nothing in the rest of the row below. So describing what you want doesn't really work for me.

If this ends up being about a way to wrap text on new lines by inserting linefeed/carriage returns then I can only envision a complicated code solution. You'd also have to use a fixed width font because "wow" and I'll are both 3 characters but the words are not the same width in most fonts.

I'm trying not to merge cells, because it's very time consuming. I have to insert a row, then merge and format to wrap.

Here's what it looks like after I do everything one line at a time. This may very well not be feasible. I was just curious. I have high expectations of this forum and don't know what I don't know. :)

1698158027486.png

Upvote 0
Can you not just make column A as wide as the sum of the other 5 (?) column widths that you're not using and set text to wrap in column A? Based on what you show I cannot see any reason why you can't just set the wrap text property on column A.

Upvote 0
Can you not just make column A as wide as the sum of the other 5 (?) column widths that you're not using and set text to wrap in column A? Based on what you show I cannot see any reason why you can't just set the wrap text property on column A.
No, because like I previously mentioned, I have other information that will be distorted. This is just one part of the report. There are several parts to it.

Upvote 0
If you're looking for design suggestions consider posting a wb copy on a file share somewhere. Otherwise I don't know what to suggest.
I can't wrap text, because it's just one cell.
That's the part I guess I don't understand the why not. Wrapped cell make the whole row higher but that's not usually an issue. Cells with shorter lines don't wrap, like below. Top row left column is not merged. Next row same column is wrapped as is column 2 row 1. Last 4 rows column 1 are not wrapped.

1698163078970.png

I probably should bow out because I'm not helping.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ripvw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back