Can't Exit Desing Mode because Control 'xxxx' can not be created

bisel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

I posted an inquiry a few weeks back and got a couple of replies that the responding person has not encountered this problem before.

This problem cropped up in the last couple of months. It seems to be occurring more frequently now. And, I distribute a complex Excel workbook to others and I am getting reports of similar problems from other users.

The problem seems to occur when a user makes a modest change to the data in a workbook. In my case, it might be a modest change to a macro or a data change. The symptoms are:

Opening the Excel workbook. There is a macro that runs on the first open. The workbook has a lot of VBA code and many sheets. Every sheet has at least one or perhaps as many as a dozen ActiveX controls on it. In all cases the workbook opens but before it finishes running the auto start macro, Excel crashes. When one attempts to open it a second time, a message crops up asking if I want to open it in safe mode. Regardless of opening in safe mode or not, the workbook will still crash, generally displaying a message ...

1706424253101.png

As this problem seems to occur on multiple computers, I expect something amiss with my Excel workbook. I have performed numerous searches on the Internet about this issue and have found multiple instances where this has occurred. I have citations going back several years as well as quite recent occurrences.

I have gone through the workbook and deleted unnecessary sheets, columns, and rows. I have also started saving the workbook in binary form as recommended by Microsoft. But the crash still occurs ... however, I cannot create the circumstances to force the crash. It only occurs occasionally. I found a couple of Microsoft articles but they are not helpful. There have been a couple of posts in this forum about this issue, but they are fairly old and the advice offered was to delete and recreate the offending sheet. The problem is that I do not have an idea of what the offending sheet may be. At the time of this posting, I cannot get the workbook to crash, but anticipate it might do so anytime.

Appreciate it is anyone has experienced this problem and if you may have found a reason for it.

Regards,

Steve

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
I am having an almost identical issue with the exception of the error message; I don't get an error message, just a crash that destroys all instances of excel.

I have a file that is pre-corruption, but it is still giving me issues, and my error message is "runtime error -2147352571 80020005" when I tab through the Macro and read an Application.caller line. What is odd is that this exact spreadsheet and Macro work perfectly fine in other copies, and it's just one copy that has become corrupted.

The way the spreadsheet is shared is like this:
1. Modify and save a macro-enabled spreadsheet to my computer (saves to OneDrive and not to local PC storage)
2. Copy that spreadsheet to a shared network drive
3. An administrator uploads that spreadsheet to a read-only shared network drive
4. Others download the spreadsheet from the read-only drive to their computers (again through OneDrive and not to local PC)
5. Very rarely does the file get corrupted, but when it does it is totally random and catastrophic. Excel completely crashes and the file can never be opened or recovered to a previous version that is confirmed to work. I am trying to eliminate possible modes of failure, and one of them I cannot strike out is the saving and sharing of the file. Maybe the file is autosaving to OneDrive while halfway through a routine or something?

I'd love to hear any ideas or solutions presented for the original question so I can try them myself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back