diversification

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there, I'm interested in setting up VBA that I can use to completely clean account numbers and format them identically, no matter the data source. Just to explain my usecase a bit further, I'm bringing in account data from multiple locations and then running a lot of INDEX MATCH type of stuff to pull it all into one place. Obviously this requires that the functions I'm using correctly identify the account numbers from various sources as matching correctly, and this is impeded by things like spaces, non-printing characters, and improper formatting. I'm trying to create a magic bullet here to clean things up categorically, no matter the source of the data.

The way I've been doing this til now is using Text To Columns, which apparently strips out all unruly characters (save for spaces iirc?) and then lets excel choose what format it thinks is best. The account numbers I'm dealing with sometimes contain letters, and sometimes are all numbers, so as long as I run Text To Columns on all account number columns, they should match up as necessary. Obviouls this could result in a non-homogenously formatted column (some as-text, others as-values) which makes me a bit nervous. It's also a bit tedious to run Text To Columns numerous times.

I think this excellent VBA code (courtesy of @Rick Rothstein ) creates a UDF that is probably my foundation. Rick's post is copied / pasted below to save from having to click to that other thread. Hopefully I didn't butcher the formatting too badly.

Here is a UDF (user defined function) that I developed which will clean and trim the text passed into it. The trim operation is identical to Excel's worksheet TRIM function; however, the clean is slightly different. It cleans some additional non-printing characters that Excel's CLEAN function does not handle. Those additional characters are delineated here...

Remove spaces and nonprinting characters from text - Support - Office.com

I also included an optional argument to convert non-breaking spaces (ASCII 160) to real spaces (ASCII 32). Because non-breaking spaces are such a problem when copying text from the web, I defaulted this optional argument to True (meaning non-breaking space will be converted into true spaces and then handled, along with existing spaces, by the trim operation).

VBA Code:
Function CleanTrim(ByVal S As String, Optional ConvertNonBreakingSpace As Boolean = True) As String
  Dim X As Long, CodesToClean As Variant
  CodesToClean = Array(0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, _
                       21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 127, 129, 141, 143, 144, 157)
  If ConvertNonBreakingSpace Then S = Replace(S, Chr(160), " ")
  For X = LBound(CodesToClean) To UBound(CodesToClean)
    If InStr(S, Chr(CodesToClean(X))) Then S = Replace(S, Chr(CodesToClean(X)), "")
  Next
  CleanTrim = WorksheetFunction.Trim(S)
End Function

For those reading this thread who are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. You can now use CleanTrim just like it was a built-in Excel function. For example,

=CleanTrim(A1)

I've used the code and already can confirm it pulls out the issues that I run into most (things like the notorious non-breaking space, aka CHAR 160, and so on.)

Here is my remaining concern:
Can this VBA be modified to clean up all unicode characters that might show up and break a MATCH type function? I honestly don't know if this is an issue, but seeing it brought up in that same thread has me concerned.

I also have a couple requests:
  1. I'd like a way to make this code Macro friendly, in addition to having it setup as a UDF. This would give me the flexibility to run it on selected cells / columns, or to implement it via formula.
  2. I'd like a way to force a specific type of formatting -- likely either values or as text. As I mentioned above, non-homogenous formatting makes me a bit nervous. Then again, perhaps I'm creating a greater risk by trying to force formatting, so if this is a silly idea it can be skipped.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I realized that my concern was that if I'm targeting specific characters to eliminate, there might be others I'm missing, so rather than telling excel what to find and remove, it would probably be better to tell it what to find and keep. The account numbers I'm working with are alphanumeric, so I went looking and found this: How to Remove Non-Alphanumeric Characters in Excel? -

I'm not super familiar with VBA code, so it's tough for me to work back through and understand exactly what it does, however upon testing it does seem to at least clean out CHAR(160) so that's encouraging. Oddly, it still leaves behind spaces, so to use it I would need to nest RemoveNonAlphaNumeric UDF inside of a CLEAN and TRIM function. That guide also has a way to turn the code into a Macro, so I'm set on that front as well.

The questions then become:
  1. Is the RemoveNonAlphaNumeric UDF superior (for my purposes) to the CleanTrim UDF I linked above, or am I missing something?
  2. Is there a way force a specific type of formatting (likely either values or as text) or should I just forgo that thought?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back