.CSV files displaying incorrectly

stevebozz

I'm using Excel to create CSV files to use with Yahoo Auctions. There are different columns (Category, Item, Description, etc) that have data in them.

The file was working fine until I added HTML to the Description field. Here's an example of what I entered for basically all of the descriptions (it's basically a template):

[begin snip]<center><font face=""Arial"" size=""2""><table width=""80%"" cellpadding=""10"" border=""1""><tr><td bgcolor=""#D9C7A6""><font face=""Arial"" size=""2"">
This fantastic Jupiter Alto Sax features yellow brass body with gold epoxy lacquer baked finish. Power forged, lacquered brass keys with blued steel springs. High F# key, Articulated G# key with double screw adjustment. Bb key adjustment, adjustable felt bumpers on low Bb, B, C and D#. Comfortable cluster for left little finger including tilted Bb spatula. Adjustable thumb hook. Rigid and distinctive removable bell brace. Detachable bow with hand hammered and annealed bell as well as case, mouthpiece and accessories. 1 year warranty by the manufacturer.<center>

Please click on an image for a more detailed picture.

</center></td></tr></table>

Insured S&H on this item is $18.50 (Alaska, Hawaii & international shipping subject to actual shipping charges).

This instrument includes a FREE one-year Extended Service Plan which covers most of the things that really happen to an instrument. Follow the link for more details.<font size=""3"" face=""Arial"">Questions welcome: Ask Here!</font>

Can't find what you're looking for? Visit our web site for more great deals on musical instruments and accessories!

Our pricing is very competitive and our service is unsurpassed. Check out our feedback ratings on Yahoo and eBay to see for yourself!<table border=""2"" width=""95%""><tr><td bgcolor=""#000080""><font color=""#FFFFFF"" size=""2"" face=""Arial""><center>
We are a very reputable company, proudly serving the music community for over 30 years.
We are serious about customer satisfaction.
All instruments are carefully inspected to assure the highest quality.

We gladly offer a 7 day money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied!</font></center></td></tr></table></center>

[end snip]

The file looks good until I close it then open it again. When I bring it up for the second time, only the first item's information is displayed, but it's all over the page, with some HTML formatting. All the other data seems to be lost. I opened up the file in CSV-edit (a freeware program I found) and everything came up fine.

What do I need to do to make Excel not freak out about the HTML? Excel DOES add double quotes to the single quotes, but that wasn't much a problem in the past using different formats (ie - tab delimited). Being that this file has to be Comma Seperated, I need to find a solution to this. Is it the double quotes that's messing things up? Is there a utility that gets rid of them?

Thanks in advance,
Stephen Bozzone
This message was edited by stevebozz on 2002-07-31 09:37
This message was edited by stevebozz on 2002-07-31 09:40

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana abanyin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back