DATA VALIDATION

smckenzie2016

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am trying to use Data Validation to block off any further entry within the column once a certain amount of specific entries have been reached. The spreadsheet is for staff to self roster, within the column the text 'LN' can only be entered on two occasions capping any further entry of this criteria. Any help would appreciated.

thanks Sharon

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hello, I would probably do it by something like inserting a Custom data validation that being IF COUNITF/SUM of "LN" = 2 then enter empty cell. The precise formula would depend on whether you are looking for the number of cells equal to "LN" or containing "LN". Also, is the goal to block further entries or further entries of "LN"?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum Sharon.
With the following you will not get a drop down. But a data entry check.
1715499737401.png

You get this error when "ENTERING" the invalid data in a cell:
1715499845643.png

One thing about any kind of data validation, there are ways that data you don't want in a cell can get in there. Usually by pasting.
This is a copy & paste:

1715499882221.png

If you absolutely need the data to be edited on entry then a VBA solution is probably best to review the data a the change sheet event (any part of the worksheet changes). But this can be a resource hog if you have lots of calculations.

Upvote 0
Hello, I would probably do it by something like inserting a Custom data validation that being IF COUNITF/SUM of "LN" = 2 then enter empty cell. The precise formula would depend on whether you are looking for the number of cells equal to "LN" or containing "LN". Also, is the goal to block further entries or further entries of "LN"?
Hello and thanks for the advice, my goal would be to block further entries of LN once two of them had been entered.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum Sharon.
With the following you will not get a drop down. But a data entry check.
View attachment 111276
You get this error when "ENTERING" the invalid data in a cell:
View attachment 111277

One thing about any kind of data validation, there are ways that data you don't want in a cell can get in there. Usually by pasting.
This is a copy & paste:

View attachment 111278

If you absolutely need the data to be edited on entry then a VBA solution is probably best to review the data a the change sheet event (any part of the worksheet changes). But this can be a resource hog if you have lots of calculations.
Hey, thanks for the reply and advice I will give this a try.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianm3y3r

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back