Directory macro not working on certain computers

rjplante

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a macro (listed below) that uses the number entered into a cell (A1 for example), which fills out a partial subdirectory in a second cell (B1). The macro should search this subdirectory in B1 for the number in A1 and then obtain the full name of the folder that contains that information, and paste that folder directory name into cell C1. This directory information is used to build a final directory path (found in D1) that is used to save the file in.

A1 = 2507
B1 = T:/Projects/2500
C1 = (filled in from macro) T:/Projects/2507 Company Name/
D1 = T:/Projects/2507 Company Name/Data Files/2507 - My Spreadsheet.xlsm

The macro run on my computer just fine, but fails on the computers of the end user. When they run it, they get a Run-time error '52': bad file name or number, and it fails on this line: "If ((GetAttr(lPath & DirFile) And vbDirectory) = 16) Then"

I do not know why it would work on one computer and not the rest. From what I can tell, they are running the same version of Excel I am using. Is there another way to write this macro or a way to edit the line that is causing the failure?

I appreciate the help.

NOTE: The Exit Do in the middle of the loop was originally just the word "End". This was causing the macro to hang and crash Excel. When I changed it to "Exit Do", it worked fine.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Dim xfolders As New Collection
Dim i As Long

Sub Search_for_a_folder()

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="dmt"

Dim sPath As String

Sheets("Main Page").Range("C1").ClearContents
  i = 1
  Call AddSubDir(Range("B1").Value)

ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True, Password:="dmt"

End Sub
'
Sub AddSubDir(lPath As Variant)

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="dmt"

Dim SubDir As New Collection
  Dim DirFile As Variant
  Dim sd As Variant

If Right(lPath, 1) <> "\" Then lPath = lPath & "\"
  DirFile = Dir(lPath & "*", vbDirectory)

Do While DirFile <> ""
    If DirFile <> "." And DirFile <> ".." Then
      If ((GetAttr(lPath & DirFile) And vbDirectory) = 16) Then
        If InStr(1, DirFile, Range("A1").Value, vbTextCompare) Then
          Range("C1" & i).Value = lPath & DirFile
          'i = i + 1
          Exit Do 'Formerly End
        End If
        SubDir.Add lPath & DirFile
      End If
    End If
    DirFile = Dir
  Loop

For Each sd In SubDir
    xfolders.Add sd
    Call AddSubDir(sd)
  Next

ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True, Password:="dmt"

End Sub

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Are you all using Windows? The path separator character in Windows and newer versions of MacOS is "\" but some older Macs use ":". I guess at this point there aren't many computers around still doing that but given your description, it is the first thing I would check.

Also GetAttr has problems on Excel older than 2016 on a Mac with file names longer than 32 characters. Again, it is unlikely that you are using something that old. (BTW I recommend updating your user profile to show what version of Excel you use.)

NOTE: The Exit Do in the middle of the loop was originally just the word "End". This was causing the macro to hang and crash Excel. When I changed it to "Exit Do", it worked fine.
The End statement abruptly and ungracefully halts execution of VBA. You don't want to do that. However, it should not crash Excel.

Upvote 0
We are all using Windows. So that should not be a problem.

Upvote 0
I don't see anything that would cause this to give different results on different machines, unless it has to do with network connectivity to the T drive. Can they reach that drive manually? Did you check the values of lPath and DirFile when the errors occur to see if they are the expected values?

Upvote 0
I will test it out, Thanks for pointing me in a direction to start from.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back