Excel File Issue

WillardNC

I am experiencing an Excel issue that has me totally perplexed.
To give you some background, I work for a typical company in Finance/Contracts and I work on complex budgets. I am an average Excel user period. The files are usually around 25mb to 40mb in size which is a fairly large size from my perspective. My company did give me a new computer last year which predated these issues and it is a heavy beast of thing that is a workhorse. It is your typical corporate Lenovo P50 with a large amount of RAM and it is really fast. I can run a dozens of these large files at the same time if needed but I never do. The company runs Office 365 ProPlus 2013 if that is any help…
So I have these four budgets that are completely separate from each other and I work in the m every day. They are budgets that have been living for about two years with no issue. Approximately 3 months ago, one of the files would not open. When I tried to open it the green Excel box would pop up stating 100% but it took forever to open, and when it did the Excel file on the screen would have a grey hue and it would say Excel has stopped working. I called my IT team and they reinstalled my Office. I tried again and it would not work. Then, I sent the file to IT and they were able to open it in safe mode, resave it with a new name, then send it back to me. It worked for a few days and then it because corrupt again. Then is happened to my second file. I have been dealing with this for about three months and just last week the other two files became corrupt. Basically, I cannot open my file and I am totally perplexed. Below are some interesting items to note:
1. I have a friend in our Canada branch that runs Excel 2007 and I watched as he shared his screen as he opened my file with no issue and saved it then reopened it.
2. My IT team said they think the file is not finishing its calculations before it saves so that is causing the corruption issue.
3. I have a version of the same file from three months ago that is the same size with the same everything and it will open no problem. The only changes made are standard budget changes that are made all the time. I have not added any new links or formatting or anything.
4. I did notice that Excel was acting slow and sometime it will not open basic files but if I click on the excel desktop icon the file pops open no problem.
5. I can open similar internal files but my four are still having an issue.
6. I have two version of the exact same file. One is the corrupt version and another is the version my IT team sent me. The IT version is totally fine but once I resave it or do anything to it, it becomes corrupt.
Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide. It almost feels like to me there is some setting in Excel that is causing this but I don’t know why because we all use the same version here. Anyway, I am humbly at your mercy for any ideas you may have. Thanks again!
WAJ

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back