Excel for IOS (no Macros)... Auto Sort List Based on cell value

Otisair

Good Morning -

I'm trying to figure out how to have a dynamic list automatically sort without using macros (not allowed in Excel IOS). The setup is this:

Cell E11:E50 contains names of tasks or projects that are abbreviated. In column F, if I enter an X next to a task or project, that task name (in column E) is copied to Cell E1. The next x that is entered in column F is then copied to cell E2. This continues down to Cell E10. At this time, I don't expect to have more than 10 tasks highlighted at one time. The reason for this is, I concatenate each of those task names (spaces in between) and assigned that concatenated value as metadata to an email for quicker retrieval later.

My issue is right now, I can't seem to get the next checked (Column F) task name to copy to the next available cell. I can certainly do this quickly in big boy excel using Macros, but not in the IOS version. As a result, I have spaces between the list in E1:E10. I go through a sort process in E11:E200 and sort it on column F descending to show the X's. Certainly there must be a better way?

Ideas?

Many Thanks!

Shane

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Put this CSE formula in E1 and drag down to E10

=INDEX(E:E, SMALL(IF($F$11:$F$50="x",ROW($F$11:$F$50)),ROW(A1)), 1)

This has to be entered with Ctrl-Shift-Enter (Cmd+Return for Mac)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice! Working better, but now when I try to concatenate those values in E1:E10, I'm getting a #NUM! return since the values of E1:E10 are formulas. I'm sure I can just do an extra step and copy the values into another column and concat from there.

Many Thanks Mike!

ps. I'll wait a few to "SOLVE" it in case you wanted to add anything else. This is working on my sorting issue for sure though. Thanks

Upvote 0
You could wrap it in an IFERROR(that formula, "") to mask the #NUM errors and make the concatenation work.

Upvote 0
What Excel version do you have? You should be able to use macros on a Mac, it's just more limited than Windows version, but it's not like it's not available.

Upvote 0
iOS is for iPads/iPods/iPhones. No macros will run on any of those.

Upvote 0
SOLVED....

I enveloped the original function with the IFERROR function as suggested and all works perfectly. Many Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back