Excel ODBC Issues

schulermx

I'm having some issues importing external data from an Oracle 9i database.
Here is what is happening:

I am initially able to import data from the table I want to into Excel.
I do this through "Data -> Import External Data -> New Database Query" where I have my .ORA data source. I'm able to log in using my user and password and import the table. My problems come after I import this first set of data.

If I try to "Edit Query…" I get an error box that says "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed".
If I try to "Refresh Data" I get two error boxes. The first is just: "[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]" and the next says: "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed". It then prompts me for the User name and password of the DB I'm connecting and after I enter the information, I get the same two error messages.

Also, if I attempt to establish another connection following the "Data -> Import External Data…" steps I run into a different problem. Upon entering the information for the User Name and password prompt I get two error messages. One says "!" and the next box says "Couldn't read this file". Once I click "OK" in those boxes, the Microsoft Query window automatically opens with nothing in it.

I can't seem to figure out why I can initially pull down data and then cannot succeed afterwards. I'm unable to connect to the DB I have through Excel until I completely closed all Microsoft Excel instances.
Ialso use this data source in Microsoft Access without any problems.

Any thoughts why I'm having these connections issues?
Thanks in advance.

Glad it works for you, Unfortunately that was not an option for me, I wrote the attached code so that I didn't have to use MSQuery. It was unable to perform the advanced SQL queries we are performing :).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveg127

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back