Excel/Sheets - ISO Solution

g2thareeves

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I'm trying to improve the inventory management process at work, currently we're tracking everything through manual input (handwritten) using a form and then we put any relevant information on a sticky note and post it to the box. These boxes come in from numerous different places and they want us to start inputting all the information in a spreadsheet that they've created, which has different tabs that are dependent on what type of return they are. I've looked into several different monthly subscription services for CMS/WMS/ETC (Sheetgo, Upsheet, SmartSheets) but i've only found one thing that really seems to work. The company TEC-IT makes this neat software that allows you to scan from a mobile device directly to Excel/Google Sheets/Desktop. Through that software, I've been able to get everything I need to work other than two things.

1. I need a formula to take whatever I have scanned in from a FedEx 2D barcode in a specified cell be reverted to include only the last 12 digits (Tracking Number)

2. I need to figure out a formula to export said data from all different areas of that spreadsheet to different areas of the tabs in the spreadsheet I'm supposed to be inputting this data into.

If there is another solution that would be better altogether, I'm all ears.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Welcome to the board!

The answer to your first question is easy: =RIGHT(A1,12) returns the last 12 digits from the value in A1

The second question is impossible to answer. There are numerous lookup formulas (VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, INDEX / MATCH) that you can use to pull data from different sheets / tables to a worksheet. They all need the value they're looking for and they can return either the exact or approximate match from another row / column from the data source tables.

If you want to store data from one sheet / form to a database ( in one sheet or a number of sheets ) you're going to need macros / VBA. If this is the case and you know nothing about macros you're going to need someone to help you with them. Macros are usually not that difficult to write but unless you know what you're doing you can cause a lot of damage to your existing data. The message board could help you as well but to be able to help you we'd have to see your workbook and know exactly what you want to happen and when. We have to understand the logic to be able to build that into the code. The code is stupid and does exactly what it's told to do. And since it can't think for itself the coder needs to be able to give it instructions how to handle all the possible problems it might run into.

YouTube is an awesome place to start learning about different lookup formulas and there's a lot of channels there that'll teach you to code as well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back