Greyed Rows - print BLACK

Yarwell

Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I have a problem with an Excel 2003 spread sheet
some rows I greyed out (as they are for info only)
other rows are black (automatic)

When I view the spreadsheet in “Normal” and ”Page Break Preview” the greyed & black area’s show perfectly.
However when I select the “Print Preview” Icon – all rows are BLACK
When I print - all rows are BLACK

When I print to a .pdf - the greyed & black area’s print perfectly.

On transferring the same spreadsheet to a similar computer - black and grey look and print OK – both computers are Win10 with Excel 2003 and use the same printer.

I have spent hours searching on Google, also cross checking computer configurations and settings, without identifying the problem – I’ve been retired for 8 years and have no wish to upgrade to a newer version of Excel as what I have has served me well, for the little bit I need to do - *all help gratefully received*.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I'm not sure, but from what you say it could be that you've set up your printer to print in Black and White.

Upvote 0
Solution

Hi Rollis13, thanks for your reply, I was leaning towards a Printer configuration problem - it is an "HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL6" which I have owned for approx 15 years - it is not a colour printer but can print in grey scales, the Advanced setting lists "Print text Black" = disabled.
Anyway I changed the Win10 print driver to "HP Universal Printing PS" and everything is thankfully back to normal (Previews & Printing, black & grey scales) - I'm not sure I can claim to have identified the problem - (it niggles me that there is a setting somewhere on the old driver which has somehow got out of kilter) but it's resolved for now.
Thanks again for your input.

Upvote 0
Yes, it also could've been a driver problem or used protocol (PS, PCL5, PCL6, ecc.).
Thanks for the positive feedback(y), glad having been of some help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back