Group Auto Outline greyed out

Ludwig

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to change the Collapse/Expand column showing the "-" or "+" symbol from the right (default) to the left.

However, the Auto Outline option under Group on the ribbon's Data tab is greyed out -
1706235187475.png

I have done this change on another worksheet in the same workbook and is not greyed out. However, it now generates an error message. When the outline columns are selected, it has an OK / Cancel dialog saying "Modify existing outline?". If I select Cancel .. it cancels as one would expect. If I select OK it says "Cannot create outline".
1706235369303.png
This error also occurs if I try to create a new Group and select "Auto Outline" on any worksheet.

How can I get in to modify the Auto Outline on either worksheet in the workbook? If something is corrupt, is there a way to "de-corrupt" the workbook without losing the essential structure & data of the whole workbook?

I have tested using a brand new workbook - I cannot get into Auto Outline on that too. I have Excel [365] installed on my desktop *and* my tablet. Both exhibit the same problem - in the existing *and* in a newly created (& not yet saved) workbook.

Any help most welcome. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Figured the solution to my problem, so thought it best to post the solution here for post completeness.

1. The 'problem' I had was summed up as I am trying to change the Collapse/Expand column showing the "-" or "+" symbol from the right (default) to the left.
  2. This has *nothing* to do with Auto Outline - I've confused myself and hence probably anyone reading it!
  3. The answer is - click in the bottom right corner of this part of the ribbon and open "Settings" (just don't have a cell in a table selected; it'll be greyed out).
  4. Then you get to a dialog window that allows you to change whether the "-" or "+" symbol on columns are left or right, and for rows are top or bottom.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back