Help with Unpivoting (and more?) to get the data format that I need...

seaottr

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbie to Power Query and although I feel like I've learned a fair bit in the past while, I really need help with this. I've spent an entire day trying to automate this (without lengthy, less dynamic workarounds), and am pretty sure this will be easy for many of you Power Query gurus out there.

I have the below (sample) raw data set in the same format:
NameDateGreetingConnectAppreciateCommentsGreeting Max PointsConnect Max PointsAppreciate Max PointsAssessment Number
John Smith
8-22-2022​
5​
5​
0​
Comments on John
5​
5​
5​
Assessment 1
Lisa Simpson
8-24-2022​
5​
5​
2.5​
Comments on Lisa
5​
5​
5​
Assessment 1
Peter Griffin
8-23-2022​
5​
0​
5​
Comments on Peter
5​
5​
5​
Assessment 1
Joe Schmoe
8-24-2022​
5​
5​
Comments on Joe
5​
5​
Assessment 1
Mike Wzowski
8-24-2022​
5​
5​
2.5​
Comments on Mike
5​
5​
5​
Assessment 1
Peter Griffin
8-24-2022​
5​
5​
5​
Comments 2 on Peter
5​
5​
5​
Assessment 2

And need to get it in the below format (I was able to get it fairly close by unpivoting "Greeting", "Connect" and "Appreciate", but need the accurate Max Points for the respective unpivoted items beside them as the "Max Attribute Value":
NameDateCommentsAssessment NumberAttributeAttribute ValueMax Attribute Value
John Smith
8-22-2022​
Comments on JohnAssessment 1Greeting
5​
5​
John Smith
8-22-2022​
Comments on JohnAssessment 1Connect
5​
5​
John Smith
8-22-2022​
Comments on JohnAssessment 1Appreciate
0​
5​
Lisa Simpson
8-24-2022​
Comments on LisaAssessment 1Greeting
5​
5​
Lisa Simpson
8-24-2022​
Comments on LisaAssessment 1Connect
5​
5​
Lisa Simpson
8-24-2022​
Comments on LisaAssessment 1Appreciate
2.5​
5​
Peter Griffin
8-23-2022​
Comments on PeterAssessment 1Greeting
5​
5​
Peter Griffin
8-23-2022​
Comments on PeterAssessment 1Connect
0​
5​
Peter Griffin
8-23-2022​
Comments on PeterAssessment 1Appreciate
5​
5​
Joe Schmoe
8-24-2022​
Comments on JoeAssessment 1Greeting
5​
5​
Joe Schmoe
8-24-2022​
Comments on JoeAssessment 1Connect
5​
5​
Mike Wzowski
8-24-2022​
Comments on MikeAssessment 1Greeting
5​
5​
Mike Wzowski
8-24-2022​
Comments on MikeAssessment 1Connect
5​
5​
Mike Wzowski
8-24-2022​
Comments on MikeAssessment 1Appreciate
2.5​
5​
Peter Griffin
8-24-2022​
Comments 2 on PeterAssessment 2Greeting
5​
5​
Peter Griffin
8-24-2022​
Comments 2 on PeterAssessment 2Connect
5​
5​
Peter Griffin
8-24-2022​
Comments 2 on PeterAssessment 2Appreciate
5​
5​

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
In this situation, you are trying to pivot two columns of data under one attribute. As you can see, the pivot can only grab one column of data at a time.

The trick is to combine the data that you want into one column so that when you pivot, everything goes under the header. Then you separate the data into the appropriate columns.

1. Replaced null values with zero (to remove blanks in your data set)
2. Merged "Greeting" with "Greeting Max Points"
3. Merged "Connect" with "Connect Max Points"
4. Merged "Appreciate" with "Appreciate Max Points"
5. Unpivot the new columns (Greeting, Connect, Appreciate), and call it "Attribute" & "Value"
6. Split the "Value" Column into "Attribute Value" and "Max Attribute Value"

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table6"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"Date", type text}, {"Greeting", type text}, {"Connect", type text}, {"Appreciate", type text}, {"Comments", type text}, {"Greeting Max Points", type text}, {"Connect Max Points", type text}, {"Appreciate Max Points", type text}, {"Assessment Number", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",null,"0",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Greeting", "Connect", "Appreciate", "Greeting Max Points", "Connect Max Points", "Appreciate Max Points"}),
    #"Merge Greeting" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Replaced Value",{"Greeting", "Greeting Max Points"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.None),"Greeting"),
    #"Merge Connect" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Merge Greeting",{"Connect", "Connect Max Points"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.None),"Connect"),
    #"Merge Appreciate" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Merge Connect",{"Appreciate", "Appreciate Max Points"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.None),"Appreciate"),
    #"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns" = Table.Unpivot(#"Merge Appreciate", {"Greeting", "Connect", "Appreciate"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns", "Value", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute Value", "Max Attribute Value"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Attribute Value", type text}, {"Max Attribute Value", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Upvote 0
In this situation, you are trying to pivot two columns of data under one attribute. As you can see, the pivot can only grab one column of data at a time.

The trick is to combine the data that you want into one column so that when you pivot, everything goes under the header. Then you separate the data into the appropriate columns.

1. Replaced null values with zero (to remove blanks in your data set)
2. Merged "Greeting" with "Greeting Max Points"
3. Merged "Connect" with "Connect Max Points"
4. Merged "Appreciate" with "Appreciate Max Points"
5. Unpivot the new columns (Greeting, Connect, Appreciate), and call it "Attribute" & "Value"
6. Split the "Value" Column into "Attribute Value" and "Max Attribute Value"

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table6"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"Date", type text}, {"Greeting", type text}, {"Connect", type text}, {"Appreciate", type text}, {"Comments", type text}, {"Greeting Max Points", type text}, {"Connect Max Points", type text}, {"Appreciate Max Points", type text}, {"Assessment Number", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",null,"0",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Greeting", "Connect", "Appreciate", "Greeting Max Points", "Connect Max Points", "Appreciate Max Points"}),
    #"Merge Greeting" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Replaced Value",{"Greeting", "Greeting Max Points"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.None),"Greeting"),
    #"Merge Connect" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Merge Greeting",{"Connect", "Connect Max Points"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.None),"Connect"),
    #"Merge Appreciate" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Merge Connect",{"Appreciate", "Appreciate Max Points"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.None),"Appreciate"),
    #"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns" = Table.Unpivot(#"Merge Appreciate", {"Greeting", "Connect", "Appreciate"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns", "Value", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute Value", "Max Attribute Value"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Attribute Value", type text}, {"Max Attribute Value", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"
Thank you so much for the quick reply SullyWYO!

I removed the replace nulls with zeros step, as I actually don't want to change the nulls since it will impact averages when I do calculations on it.

This will probably work in the interim (and is way cleaner than what I was trying to do), but was hoping to make it more dynamic in case other attributes are added later. I figured unpivoting a couple of different ways with some extra steps might achieve this, but since your way works, I will definitely use it for now! :)

Thank you so much again! I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Just keep in mind that if you have nulls and eventually add more attributes, it will screw things up when you merge the columns - some merges will have less entries than others, so when you split up the data you run the risk of it going into the wrong column.

I would replace the nulls with 0 for the pivot, then replace the 0s with null after the pivot if that's what you prefer. This will ensure that all data sets have the same number of entries and end up in the correct columns.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the quick reply SullyWYO!

I removed the replace nulls with zeros step, as I actually don't want to change the nulls since it will impact averages when I do calculations on it.

This will probably work in the interim (and is way cleaner than what I was trying to do), but was hoping to make it more dynamic in case other attributes are added later. I figured unpivoting a couple of different ways with some extra steps might achieve this, but since your way works, I will definitely use it for now! :)

Thank you so much again! I really appreciate it!
P.S. I'm going to leave this post as unresolved for today to see if there are any other schools of thought on ways to tackle this, but will mark as resolved if nobody else has alternate suggestions :)

Upvote 0
Just keep in mind that if you have nulls and eventually add more attributes, it will screw things up when you merge the columns - some merges will have less entries than others, so when you split up the data you run the risk of it going into the wrong column.

I would replace the nulls with 0 for the pivot, then replace the 0s with null after the pivot if that's what you prefer. This will ensure that all data sets have the same number of entries and end up in the correct columns.
But I actually need zeros for some of the calculations, so I can't remove all zeros. In my user form, Yes = 5, No = 0 and N/A = null. I need to count the zeros for the No's and need to exclude the nulls for the N/A's. I hope that makes sense. I could change the nulls to another random number (or even a letter) if you think that would help so I can easily identify/remove them afterwards.

Upvote 0
But I actually need zeros for some of the calculations, so I can't remove all zeros. In my user form, Yes = 5, No = 0 and N/A = null. I need to count the zeros for the No's and need to exclude the nulls for the N/A's. I hope that makes sense. I could change the nulls to another random number (or even a letter) if you think that would help so I can easily identify/remove them afterwards.
Sure - just use a different placeholder like 999 that you can easily convert back to null. The important thing is that you don't have empty cells, as that will screw up the pivot.

Upvote 0
another way:

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table5"]}[Content],
    UnpivotColumns = Table.Unpivot(Source, {"Greeting", "Connect", "Appreciate"}, "Attribute", "Attribute Value"),
    AddMaxCol = Table.AddColumn(UnpivotColumns, "Max Attribute Value", each Record.Field(_, [Attribute] & " Max Points")),
    RemoveColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddMaxCol,{"Greeting Max Points", "Connect Max Points", "Appreciate Max Points"})
in
    RemoveColumns

Upvote 0
Solution
another way:

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table5"]}[Content],
    UnpivotColumns = Table.Unpivot(Source, {"Greeting", "Connect", "Appreciate"}, "Attribute", "Attribute Value"),
    AddMaxCol = Table.AddColumn(UnpivotColumns, "Max Attribute Value", each Record.Field(_, [Attribute] & " Max Points")),
    RemoveColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddMaxCol,{"Greeting Max Points", "Connect Max Points", "Appreciate Max Points"})
in
    RemoveColumns
Oooooo! I like this approach because it's more dynamic (especially if I add more attributes later)! Thank you for this suggestion JGordon11! I'll just need to make sure the "Max Points" field name matches the attribute name exactly (with the exception of " Max Points") for this to work (I have more attributes that I didn't include in the sample data and the field names don't match exactly).

Appreciate the help!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back