Help with writing an If Then clause in Access SQL

MCTampa

Board Regular
In my database, I have two tables: Inventory and Restrictions.
The inventory is a list of hotels, grouped by developer, for specific unit sizes and check in dates.

On the table table called Restrictions I can manually enter the variables I want restricted. I'm not sure if I want to delete them or isolate them in a different table, so for now, I'm just working on the Select query.

There is a hierarchy to my restrictions.
1 - Developer
2 - Area
3 - Resort
4 - Size
The four items above are all optional and can be left blank.
5 - Start Week (SW)
6 - End Week (EW)

Items 5 and 6 are mandatory and must be included.

If I specify the Developer, I want all associated items to be returned based on the SW and EW parameters.
If I leave Developer blank, and specify Area, i I want all associated items to be returned based on SW and EW.
If I leave Developer and Area blank, and specify Resort, i I want all associated items to be returned based on SW and EW.
If I leave Developer and Area and Resort blank, and specify Size, i I want all associated items to be returned based on SW and EW.

Below is my code, which works fine if I specify all items, but not if I leave one blank.
The reason for leaving one blank is because (for example) there are numerous resorts in an area, or numerous resorts associated to a developer.
I'm sure there has to be an Or somewhere, but when I've tried that, my data gets inflated.

SQL:
SELECT 
restrictions.AREA, 
restrictions.Developer, 
restrictions.[SW], 
restrictions.[EW], 
ic.RESX,
ic.TRKFLD, 
ic.Size, 
Sum(ic.[Units]) AS Units

FROM Restrictions AS restrictions LEFT JOIN Inventory AS ic ON 

(restrictions.Area = ic.Area)

And(restrictions.Developer = ic.Developer)

AND (restrictions.Resort = ic.resx)

AND (ic.Week >= restrictions.[SW]) 

AND (ic.Week <= restrictions.[EW])

WHERE (((ic.[Units]) Is Not Null))
GROUP BY restrictions.AREA, restrictions.Developer, ic.RESX, ic.TRKFLD, ic.SpaceType, ic.Size, restrictions.[SW], restrictions.[EW];

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Mike,

AND means each condition must be met

It would be helpful if you could tell us about the "business" that this database is trying to support.
2 tables does not seem enough, but I don't know your business.
A copy of the database would also be helpful.

Upvote 0
Thanks.
I know that the AND clause requires all elements to be met. I’m not sure how to integrate an OR clause or if that is event correct (which I doubt).

The nature of the business is hospitality.
I can solve the problem by running multiple queries each scenario but wanted to slim down the process.

Upvote 0
You can do some analysis to see which fields may not be valued if that is an issue.
Another option is to have a form where you can select various items/fields and build a specific query(s).

If you have only 4 basic queries, you could just create and use 4 queries. Then a form where user can select which query to run.

see this for ideas

Upvote 0
I believe you would need this pattern for each field that can be null (which you referred to as blank)
And (restrictions.Developer = ic.Developer) OR restrictions.Developer Is Null

My personal preference is to build the sql in code with variables as strSelect, strCriteria, strEnd (and if desired, strOrderBy). A series of one line IF tests either appends or doesn't the part that isn't / is null to the criteria string variable. This could depend on what you really need the results for. If it will be a form or report recordsource, then OK. If you intend to present the query results, then it gets more complicated for a Select query. However, you shouldn't be presenting tables or editable queries to users anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back