How to add specific values in a table?

BIGEYE

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Appreciate any help with a formula that can add specific values in a range of cells within a table. I have 2 tables, table 1 is Expense Summary, and table 2 is Expense Transactions. In table 1, I have a column for the different Expense Categories, and a column for the actual amount spent. For example, cell L24 contains the Expense Category Clothing, and cell N24 the total I've actually spent on clothing. Another row in this table might have cell L26 with Expense Category Eating Out, whilst cell N26 contains the total spent on Eating Out. I want to automate the totalising of these cells.
In my Expense Tracker table, I put all my spending for the month in this table. For example, in my Expense Tracker table, I may have Clothing in cells S37, S39 and S40, with the totals spent in cells T37, T39 & T40. And also, Eating Out in cells S20, S26, S30, etc. with how much I spent in cells T20, T26, and T30, etc. So I want to calculate these automatically and put the results in my Expense Summary cells. For example, my Expense Summary table cell L24, would need to look at the Expense Tracker table and totalise all the amounts spent on Clothing only, and put the result into cell N24. Likewise, Expense Summary table, cell L26 Eating Out would need to look at the Expense Tracker table and totalise all the amounts spent on Eating Out only, and put the result into cell N26.
I would like to do this for all other types of expenditure if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

It would be quite difficult and time-consuming to set up some sample data (that might not replicate yours anyway) to test ideas/formulas based on that long written description. You could make it much easier for your potential helpers if you provided some sample data in a form that showed the type of data, the layout and the expected results (entered manually) in a form that can easily be copied for testing.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

It would be quite difficult and time-consuming to set up some sample data (that might not replicate yours anyway) to test ideas/formulas based on that long written description. You could make it much easier for your potential helpers if you provided some sample data in a form that showed the type of data, the layout and the expected results (entered manually) in a form that can easily be copied for testing.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.
Thanks, will do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back