How to check if any single array or at least one of multiple arrays are empty? (non-VBA)

Rnkhch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I define a lot of functions that take at least one array (range or defined name), and sometimes those arrays are empty which cause an error in the cell, which is not aesthetically pleasing :ROFLMAO: To deal with this situation, I have so far wrapped my functions in IFERROR. However, I don't like this approach because if there happen to be other unrelated errors, I will never find out about them and so not fix them. So I'm trying to ditch IFERROR and find a more specific way of tackling this, and here's my two-part question.

A) I'm trying to come up with a generic way of checking if any single array (range or defined name) is empty. (I saw a post here, but that was VBA-based)

B) For those of my functions that take more than one array, is it possible to have a way of checking to see if at least one of them is empty? This will be so helpful instead if checking each of them one by one. Almost all of my functions are LET/LAMBDA-based nowadays, so I have something like this:

=LET(a,ARRAY1,b,ARRAY2,c,ARRAY3,operation)

I'm hoping to put the main 'operation' in an IF condition such that if at least one of the arrays are empty, then the function will return a blank (""), like this:

=LET(a,ARRAY1,b,ARRAY2,c,ARRAY3,IF('at least one array empty',"",operation))

Thanks for any input! 😁

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
There probably is a more direct way, but since you are using XL365, you can CONCAT your array and test its LEN...

=IF(LEN(CONCAT(ARRAY1))=0,"Array empty","Array not empty")

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks, that's a great suggestion. I modified it like these to check more than one array, and it's working pretty well:

=IF(LEN(CONCAT(CONCAT(ARRAY1),CONCAT(ARRAY2),CONCAT(ARRAY3)))=0,"Array empty","Array not empty")

=IF(OR(LEN(CONCAT(ARRAY1))=0,LEN(CONCAT(ARRAY2))=0,LEN(CONCAT(ARRAY3))=0),"Array empty","Array not empty")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CONCAT can concatenate non-contiguous ranges, so this should also work...

=IF(LEN(CONCAT(Array1,Array2,Array3)),"Array empty","Array not empty")

Upvote 0
Not really a lot of difference but rather than
- create a result with CONCAT
- measure the length of that result
- compare that length to zero

you could just
- create a result with CONCAT
- compare that result to ""

=IF(CONCAT(ARRAY1)="","Array empty","Array not empty")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pertotal

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back