How to insert formula to show value and also account for instances of 2 digits versus 3 digits.

Burrgogi

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
VBA Code:
Sub Fanatical_Table()
'
    Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
        "D:\Games\Game Collection\Fanatical Bundle Tracker Workbook  (started on Nov 6, 2020).xlsm"
    Sheets.Add After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count), Type:= _
        "D:\Games\Fanatical Bundle Template 2C.xltx"
    ActiveSheet.Name = Format(Date, "mm_dd_yyyy")
    Range("A2").Select
    ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="Text", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False
    ' This deletes the last 2 unnecessary columns
    Columns("J:K").Select
    Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
    ' Cut the trading cards (TC) column and move it to the left of the Playmode col.
    Columns("I:I").Select
    Selection.Cut
    Columns("G:G").Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight
Range("E2:E" & Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row).Formula = "=MID(C2, 7, 2)"
End Sub

I've got a very simple VBA routine and I'm stumped on the last part. Column C contains a string like this:
Steam 100%
Steam 84%
Steam 95%
Steam 91%

As you see from my code, it looks at the 2 numbers after "Steam " and enters the number into col. E as a formula. Most of the time, my data has only 2 digits in that particular column, but there are some occasions when it contains 3 numbers. How can I modify my formula to account for those instances?

Also, I'd like col. E to display the value instead of the actual formula.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
I figured out the first part of my question. For anyone interested, this will extract whatever appears between the space and percentage sign.

=MID(C2,SEARCH(" ", C2)+1,SEARCH("%",C2,SEARCH("%", C2)-1)-SEARCH(" ", C2)-1)

Upvote 0
Untested -try (on a copy of your worksheet) replacing the line just before the End Sub line with this:
VBA Code:
With Range("E2:E" & Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row)
    .Formula = "=MID(C2,SEARCH("" "", C2)+1,SEARCH(""%"",C2,SEARCH(""%"", C2)-1)-SEARCH("" "", C2)-1)+0"
    .Value = .Value
End With
I assumed you want the output as numbers not text. If that's wrong just remove the +0 from the end of the formula.

Upvote 0
Untested -try (on a copy of your worksheet) replacing the line just before the End Sub line with this:
VBA Code:
With Range("E2:E" & Cells(Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp).Row)
    .Formula = "=MID(C2,SEARCH("" "", C2)+1,SEARCH(""%"",C2,SEARCH(""%"", C2)-1)-SEARCH("" "", C2)-1)+0"
    .Value = .Value
End With
I assumed you want the output as numbers not text. If that's wrong just remove the +0 from the end of the formula.

Thanks JoeMo, that works just fine. Small little problem though... the numbers appear like this:
9500%
8600%
7900%

I'm assuming that this is due to the fact that the column has been preformatted as percentage. I can edit my template but I was wondering if there's a way to fix that so it appears like this instead:
95%
86%
79%

Upvote 0
Thanks JoeMo, that works just fine. Small little problem though... the numbers appear like this:
9500%
8600%
7900%

I'm assuming that this is due to the fact that the column has been preformatted as percentage. I can edit my template but I was wondering if there's a way to fix that so it appears like this instead:
95%
86%
79%
If you've formatted the column as a percent then replace the .formula line with this:
VBA Code:
.Formula = "=(MID(C2,SEARCH("" "", C2)+1,SEARCH(""%"",C2,SEARCH(""%"", C2)-1)-SEARCH("" "", C2)-1)+0)/100"

Upvote 0
Solution
First I have a VBA question for you. Before you came into thread, I wasn't getting much of a response so I searched hard for an answer. I found a solution very similar to the one you posted in post #3.
In your answer, you have
.Value = .Value

In the solution I found on my own, I have
.Formula = .Value

They both produced the same result. How?

If you've formatted the column as a percent then replace the .formula line with this:
VBA Code:
.Formula = "=(MID(C2,SEARCH("" "", C2)+1,SEARCH(""%"",C2,SEARCH(""%"", C2)-1)-SEARCH("" "", C2)-1)+0)/100"

Works like a charm, I appreciate the help JoeMo. Since you've been so helpful, I have 2 small other problems I need to fix.

1) Sometimes I have the workbook open and forget that's already open and when I try to run the macro, it throws up an error.
2) Sometimes there are 2 Fanatical bundle deals in one day so while the macro correctly inserts a new worksheet based on my template & names the worksheet as the current date, I run into a small issue later int he day when I run the macro for the 2nd deal I've found. I have no problem renaming the 1st sheet, but it would be nice to have this fully automated.
Maybe something like 9_21_2022 (A) for the first sheet and 9_21_2022 (B) for the second sheet when I run it a second time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First I have a VBA question for you. Before you came into thread, I wasn't getting much of a response so I searched hard for an answer. I found a solution very similar to the one you posted in post #3.
In your answer, you have
.Value = .Value

In the solution I found on my own, I have
.Formula = .Value

They both produced the same result. How?

Works like a charm, I appreciate the help JoeMo. Since you've been so helpful, I have 2 small other problems I need to fix.

1) Sometimes I have the workbook open and forget that's already open and when I try to run the macro, it throws up an error.
2) Sometimes there are 2 Fanatical bundle deals in one day so while the macro correctly inserts a new worksheet based on my template & names the worksheet as the current date, I run into a small issue later int he day when I run the macro for the 2nd deal I've found. I have no problem renaming the 1st sheet, but it would be nice to have this fully automated.
Maybe something like 9_21_2022 (A) for the first sheet and 9_21_2022 (B) for the second sheet when I run it a second time.
You are welcome.
.Formula = .Value simply sets the cell formula to the value that formula returns, and the formula is converted to that value so there is no longer a formula in the cell.

I recommend starting a new thread to address your two small problems.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamil ahmed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back