How to maintain font when referencing another cell?

ned lud

Office Version
  1. 2019
To simply this, let's say I have one cell with the "symbol" font as I need to show playing cards so I need A, 2, 3, ....T, J, Q, K and then one of the four card symbols - spade, club, diamond, heart like these but they definitely look better---> ♤ ♧ ♥ ♦.

In cell A1 I have the cards and have used symbols to properly show each card (so it would look like 2♦, or T♣ etc. All of the combinations of numbers/letters/symbols show correctly including the J and Q.

In cell B1 I have =A1.

Now in B1 I have the correct symbols and letters/numbers for every card other than the J and the Q cards. The J and Qs in cell B1 are both pretty funky.

Is there a way to make the J and Q show up properly in cell B1?

Thank you. I've spent maybe four hours on this in total over the course of a few days and can't figure out how to do it.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Does that mean in A1 you have formatted individual characters with different fonts/symbols?
If so, a formula in B1 cannot "bring over" the individual character formatting from A1

Here is a small example. In A1 below I have formatted each word its own colour. In B1 I have the formula =A1. As you can see, the colours are not repeated in B1

1706679340127.png

Or have I completely missed what you are getting at?

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Does that mean in A1 you have formatted individual characters with different fonts/symbols?
If so, a formula in B1 cannot "bring over" the individual character formatting from A1

Here is a small example. In A1 below I have formatted each word its own colour. In B1 I have the formula =A1. As you can see, the colours are not repeated in B1

View attachment 106041

Or have I completely missed what you are getting at?
No. That is exactly it but the fonts and not colors - although you indicate that the principle is the same for both.

Thank you for the information. I wish there was a solution but I guess I'll just live with the funky font.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back