How to remove spaces from a cell that displays the results of multiple vlookup functions

srkelley

I'm using Excel 2010 on Windows XP. I wish that I could upload the document, but unfortunately it uses lots of sensitive data. Due to the nature of my position, I cannot upload any files from my computer so making a general document and uploading it isn't possible either. :(

Below is a copy of the function that is in use. It works, it searchs through multiple columns of data on another tab and displays all of it within one cell. The problem is that I ended up with at least one set of commas if any of the referenced fields don't have data. I'm just trying to have Excel return the data in a way that doesn't return the commas and space for an empty field.

Code:
=VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,21)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,22)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,23)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,24)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,25)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,26)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,27)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,28)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,29)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,30)&", "&VLOOKUP(B24,ADATA!$A$2:$AE$20,31)

I found a possible solution here: [URL]http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/603509-multiple-vlookups-one-formula.html#post2990069[/URL].

I'm having a small bit of difficulty in understanding how the solution works and how I should apply it to the above code. Could someone help me please?

I use this function to return the type of access a user may need based upon their role. It saves a lot of time to do it this way since I'm copying the data from Excel to other programs. Some users have multiple roles or other variables that will make their access unique from someone in a similar position (which is why I just don't make separate lists for each role and copy them).

Last edited:
Then it sounds like you are copying not only spaces but other hidden characters.

Try... =VLOOKUP(TRIM(CLEAN($A10)),'CATEGORY BY PART'!$A:K,5,FALSE)

If that fails then there is one last thing you could but try the above first.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Nope, same, only works if I manually write it down. =(
What we do, is copy from an email the list of CATEGORY and paste it in excel and we use Text to columns to organize and get only the CATEGORY part I need then the part we paste it in that collum, but it always has spaces.

Upvote 0
Last throw of my dice then is.....

=VLOOKUP(TRIM(CLEAN(SUBSTITUTE($A10,CHAR(160),""))),'CATEGORY BY PART'!$A:K,5,FALSE)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelguy2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back