I can't sum up hours anymore

Michele317

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello :)

I'm doind an excel sheet in which I need to sum up hours.
For example, I have written in a cell "05:00" and in another "05:00". What I would expect by doing "=SUM(A1:A2)" is "10:00".

In the previous weeks, I already put in some calculation and they works perfectly: I have hours and I can sum them up.
Today, after some time I didn't open the workbook, I'm facing problem related to sum. I already tried to copy the format of other cells that are working and paste them into the ones that aren't, but nothing changed.
This doesn't work neither with hours put through a formula or put directly in the cell.

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance :)

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
I'm going to assume you didn't actually put quote marks around your times, so did you format the cells as Text?

What happens if you use =A1+A2?

Upvote 0
I'm going to assume you didn't actually put quote marks around your times, so did you format the cells as Text?

What happens if you use =A1+A2?
The cells get the value through this formula: =IF(E4="Festivo";"";IF(OR(WEEKDAY(B4)=2;WEEKDAY(B4)=3;WEEKDAY(B4)=4;WEEKDAY(B4)=5);"08:00";"05:00")), where in B4 there are some dates, and it didn't sum up. I already put hours through a formula, and I can sum them up.
Anyway, I tried to just typing in a cell 05:00 and in another 05:00 (without quotes) and still the sum didn't work, neither using the SUM() function nor the + operator

Upvote 0
what is the error you are getting?
Have you tried enter the values in the cell using the TIME() function?
Excel Formula:
=TIME(5,0,0)

Upvote 0
what is the error you are getting?
Have you tried enter the values in the cell using the TIME() function?
Excel Formula:
=TIME(5,0,0)
No error, just nothing sum up. I can see also on the bottom left that no sum shows up when I select multiple values

Upvote 0
The cells get the value through this formula: =IF(E4="Festivo";"";IF(OR(WEEKDAY(B4)=2;WEEKDAY(B4)=3;WEEKDAY(B4)=4;WEEKDAY(B4)=5);"08:00";"05:00")), where in B4 there are some dates, and it didn't sum up. I already put hours through a formula, and I can sum them up.
Anyway, I tried to just typing in a cell 05:00 and in another 05:00 (without quotes) and still the sum didn't work, neither using the SUM() function nor the + operator
No error, just nothing sum up. I can see also on the bottom left that no sum shows up when I select multiple values
Well, your formula shows you are inputting those times as text, not a time value. You can use TIME(h,m,s) or h/24.
=TIME(8,0,0) or =8/24 for 8 am
=TIME(17,0,0) or =17/24 for 5 pm

and the OR() statement, are you trying to find a Monday-Friday date? If so, this is a slightly shorter formula to do that:
Excel Formula:
=WEEKDAY(B4,2)<=5

so your overall formula could be:
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(E4="Festivo",WEEKDAY(B4,2)<=5),8,17)/24
(Change the 17 to 5, if you really want 5 AM).

Upvote 1
Solution
Well, your formula shows you are inputting those times as text, not a time value. You can use TIME(h,m,s) or h/24.
=TIME(8,0,0) or =8/24 for 8 am
=TIME(17,0,0) or =17/24 for 5 pm
I don't know, I have already done that in other formulas and it worked perfectly. I actually don't know why this time didn't work but anyway...
Anyway, thank you. I have tried by using the TIME() function and seems to work.

Thank you again :)

Upvote 0
I don't know, I have already done that in other formulas and it worked perfectly. I actually don't know why this time didn't work but anyway...
Anyway, thank you. I have tried by using the TIME() function and seems to work.

Thank you again :)
OKay, you're welcome. Take a look at the update I made in the prior post. There is a shorter formula that you may like.

Best Wishes!

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duraichandra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back