I'd like to use a checkbox/active x control to drive a FILTER function, versus a dropdown

Guitarmageddon

Board Regular
Hey folks. I have a range on one tab that is driven by four dependent dropdowns. The dropdowns give the user the ability to select one of the four divisions, and then a FILTER function will lookup from a table on another tab, any of the questions pertaining to that division. They can freely select from the dropdown in any order and the filter function brings the questions over in the gray range of cells you see below.

It is filtering the adjacent "CHOICE_LIST" (A1:B18 in second screenshot) table based on the dropdowns in E16 thru 19.

How can I clean this up and instead have the filter function work off some sort of checkbox where the user can just multi-select?

My PERFECT vision for this was both a multi select box, and then VBA that would dynamically insert requisite amount of rows needed in the spreadsheet to bring those questions over (its just 4 questions per division, 4 divisions total). Instead, I have settled on a less elegant approach of dependent dropdowns and a FILTER function, but to avoid errors I have to park those dormant rows in the range so that if they end up selecting all 4 divisions, there is enough space for the filter function to bring it over...

1684327629679.png

The dropdown source data on the other tab looks like so. I have my table with whatever questions per-division. Then, I use a UNIQUE to get the unique divisions, then under that I have the list of unused divisions the dropdowns havent yet selected. Then, the dropdowns you see above are looking at that "unused list" range to give the other dropdowns what selections remain for the user (via data validation on list E6#). Im sure there is a more elegant way to do this?
1684327964788.png

Attachments

• 1684327594793.png
    1684327594793.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirbito

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back