Importing Excel file to Access, What would be a better method to clean up and organize data: Excel or Access?

adibakale

Board Regular
I work for a financial institution and have been creating Excel Macros for the past few months to automate a few processes. I am now working on setting up an Access database to track financial transactions which is a daily process with weekly uploads of anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 transaction records.
The data that is exported from a Web application in a fixed width or delimited excel file.
Each row contains a transaction record and there are multiple columns which store details for each transaction.
The problem I have is, the way the data is exported, there are multiple-rows for each record, each row storing additional information like other Names on the account, City State and Zip code. So each record is about 4 rows of data, instead of 1 row. My plan for now is to create a Macro to clean up the data in excel by making the 4 rows of data for each record, and making it 1 row for each record.
My main question is, would it be better to import and organize the data AS-IS in Access? Or to organize it in Excel before importing it?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
It isn't easy for me to answer the question but... If the structure of the data is systematic/consistent/reliable I suspect it doesn't matter whether the tidy up is done in Excel or Access.

I'm wondering why involve Excel at all?

What do you think?

Upvote 0
Excel because that is the only option the export the data from the web application. I would like to then import it to Access

Upvote 0
Thank you.

With the export to an Excel file, I expect this doesn't need use of Excel software. So is it possible to export the data to an Excel file, then Access reads from that file: all without needing to open Excel software at all.

Is your preference to use Excel or Access?

Upvote 0
Yes, that is correct. I can export to an excel file, then import the data to access without opening excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back