Insert blank rows conditionally

hatatra

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
I have an excel sheet that I need to clean up and "prettify". It's a sheet of scheduled shifts, spat out by a scheduling program, and it's a crapshoot. I've got the basics figured out, cleaning up whitespace, replacing short codes with more descriptive text, and I will use some conditional formatting... but what I can't figure out how to automate is adding blank rows if one is missing.

Basically the sheet has dates as columns, and employees and their shifts as rows. There is a row with an employee's name that has their scheduled hours, and the next row has their shift descriptor. The problem is that if an employee is absent the whole period, the sheet only has one row for them, and no shift descriptor row. This messes up alternate row formatting and makes reading the sheet harder. I need to add an empty row after each employee row, but only if there isn't already an empty row.

Can't install the XL2BB thingy on this machine, but here's a screencap with fake names. Up top are weekdays and day numbers (non-English). You can see here that "Tom Cruise" does not have shifts assigned, he's either free or away the whole period, and thus only has the one row, which then messes up the alternate row formatting for everyone below - the row with the name and hours is supposed to be bolded, not the one with shift descriptions, as you can see "Marilyn Monroe" has the wrong row bolded. The employee names are always in Column A.

There are some 60-70 employees and 21 days on each sheet, the number of employees varies. There's a new sheet every three weeks, so I'm hoping to have a macro or PowerQuery (or a combination) that would make this quick, preferably something I can just set up and tell another person to click this, this and that and save the resulting file... my current implementation is running the original sheet through PowerQuery for tidy-up and replacing text.

We have Office 365, Windows desktop.

Attachments

• workshift_excel.png
    workshift_excel.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Please try this on a copy of your workbook. I'm assuming Michael Jackson is in cell A2.
VBA Code:
Sub hatatra()
    Dim i As Long
    For i = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row To 3 Step -1
        If Cells(i, 1) <> "" And Cells(i, 1).Offset(-1) <> "" Then Rows(i).EntireRow.Insert
    Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you, this seems to have worked beautifully! Do I understand the logic correctly, the script checks if there's something in a cell on a row and the next (or previous?) row, and if so it inserts an empty row, then loops till end?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back