Intermittent Excel VBA Project crashing

Berryl

A large (100+ files) xlsm of mine started to hang intermittently several weeks ago. Sometimes it will happen on a compile, more often it will be on save. The environment is Win 10 pro and Excel 2013. When it crashes on a save it often leaves a temp file (ie, "FF4DE000") in the workbook directory, but just as often it won't.

I've listed my suspicions below in the hopes that someone can help me troubleshoot this.

Cheers,

1) size, the file is ~ 1.2mb, the o/s is x64 with 8gb ram. I ordered a bigger machine with Excel 2016 and 16gb
2) COM add-ins include mz-tools 8 and Code Cleaner 5.3. The only .xla I use regularly is Name Manager 4.3
3) Trust; in addition to the folders Excel designates, I made the enclosing workbook folder and all of its subfolders Trusted. The code in the main xlsm does open and manipulate other xlsx files.
4) OneDrive - Win10 sure seems to want this to be used. Not really sure if all the background synch going on is hurting but it feels like part of the problem. I do like that it's easy to save a backup file there but not sure if that is good either.
5) Temp files. One time it seemed clearing out app data/excel helped.
6) Telemetry - I don't use this, or even have it as a tool but my temp folders are sure littered with files.
7) Lib references (in order)
- VBA
- Excel 15.0 Obj Lib
- Office 15.0 Obj Lib
- MS Scripting Runtime
- MS HTML Obj Lib
- MS VBA Extensibility 5.3
- MS XML, v6.0
- OLE Automation

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuppies466

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back