Looking to create a drop-down list where selecting a name brings me to a specific cell containing that name

kjt2904

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm doing a fantasy football statistical sheet where I have a number of sheets by position (running back, wide receiver, tight end) and I don't want to list everybody out and link to that on the frozen header up top. I'd like to be able to use a drop-down list to select the player I'm looking for and then jump to that part of the sheet. How can I go about this in the most easy and streamlined way?

Example of how I'd like the process to go:
  1. User wants to look up statistics for Cooper Kupp (wide receiver)
  2. User clicks on wide receiver tab
  3. User clicks on drop-down, scrolls for "Cooper Kupp"
  4. User selects "Cooper Kupp"
  5. User is then brought down the sheet to the matching Cooper Kupp section within the same sheet containing his statistics
  6. Repeat steps 1-5 for any other player they would like to find statistics for

Note that I'm not well-versed in Excel, especially with anything complicated so there might need to be some handholding in terms of complicated steps if that is what it takes.

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Welcome to the forum

Your problem has a 3 step solution
  1. Create Named ranges
  2. Create a Drop Down List using the Names of Named Ranges
  3. In some adjacent cell of your choice, create a hyperlink to the selection from that Named range
Check this 👇 and revert -

Book1
ABCDEF
3Trial1Go to Trial1
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3C3=HYPERLINK("#"&B3,"Go to "&B3)
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B3ListTrial1,Trial2

Upvote 0
This is how I have my sheet set up thus far, I'm trying to plug in those formulas but still having trouble... like I said, I'm not very well versed in the inner workings of Excel... how would this translate to the sheet I have as constructed? I'd like the dropdown to be where I have it labeled, once I select say A.T. Perry, the cursor would automatically go to A32, then further down (A43, A54 for players further down, etc.)

I apologize for being such a novice with stuff like this, and thank you so much for the assistance!

1713034152167.png

Upvote 0
  1. Create Named ranges - Name the ranges where you want dropdown links to reach
  2. Create a Drop Down List using the Names of Named Ranges - Use the created names in Dropdown list
  3. In some adjacent cell of your choice, create a hyperlink to the selection from that Named range - You can create hyperlink in Cell I4 with following formula 👇
=HYPERLINK("#"&A4,"Go")

By clicking on Cell I4 people will navigate through the worksheet just as you want.

Upvote 0
  1. Create Named ranges - Name the ranges where you want dropdown links to reach
  2. Create a Drop Down List using the Names of Named Ranges - Use the created names in Dropdown list
  3. In some adjacent cell of your choice, create a hyperlink to the selection from that Named range - You can create hyperlink in Cell I4 with following formula 👇
=HYPERLINK("#"&A4,"Go")

By clicking on Cell I4 people will navigate through the worksheet just as you want.
so I went to Data then Data Validation with A4 selected
then under "Allow", selected "list"
and then source is the cells I want in the dropdown? I feel like I'm missing something here, I'm just wondering knowing the cell information how you would do it with the information I provided, because I do feel like I'm missing something

again, appreciate all of your help!

Upvote 0
and then source is the cells I want in the dropdown? I feel like I'm missing something here, I'm just wondering knowing the cell information how you would do it with the information I provided, because I do feel like I'm missing something
Here you can work 2 ways
  1. Best is to create a list at a seperate place.
    1. Make that list also a Named range
    2. Then refer that list for Data validation
    3. This gives you flexibility of adding or removing any part at any time.
  2. Easier (but less recommended) practice is to type names manually using comma
Check the article below 👇 for data Validation.

And this 👇 article for Named Ranges

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoffk036

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back