Milestone Shape Rollup to Showing Up *Behind* Summary Task Bar

bonzo

Board Regular
I've inherited ownership of some VBA macro code in Excel for building some Gantt bars with milestone rollups for eventual presentation. The various milestones being used have different shapes (e.g. diamond, star, square, circle) & colors. My dilemma is two-fold:
  1. If I use Application.Tasks(x).Duration = "1m" for all of the subtasks under a summary task, the colored shapes do show up on the summary task Gantt bar as expected -- but the subtasks themselves each show up as a short bar, not as the specified milestone shape (presumably because the duration is "1 minute", not zero). [see Scenario1 image attached]

2. If I use Application.Tasks(x).Duration = "0d" for all of the subtasks under a summary task (which is the duration that I would expect for subtasks that should be "milestones"), I only see the left half of the earliest milestone shape at the left-most end of the summary task Gantt bar & only the right half of the latest milestone shape at the right-most end of the summary task Gantt bar. *NONE* of the milestone shapes in between are visible. It's as if the summary task Gantt bar is in the foreground & the milestone shapes are in the background (i.e. covered by the summary task Gantt bar) instead of showing "rolled up" in front of the summary task Gantt bar. However, the subtasks themselves each show up as their respective colored shape, which is expected/desired. [see Scenario2 image attached]
The goal is to see the rolled-up colored milestone shapes on the summary task Gantt bar & the subtasks each showing their respective colored shape. [see Scenario3 image attached]

Anyone have any insight on how I might be able to resolve this issue? Is there some esoteric or unintuitive VBA statement/setting that I need to use to get what is desired? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I have Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.2486, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.4190.0, & Microsoft 365 Version 2202 (Build 14931.20858 Click-to-Run).

Attachments

• MSProject-Timelines-Scenario1.jpg
    MSProject-Timelines-Scenario1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 8
  • MSProject-Timelines-Scenario2.jpg
    MSProject-Timelines-Scenario2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 8
  • MSProject-Timelines-Scenario3.jpg
    MSProject-Timelines-Scenario3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
You said you have macros in Excel but everything you're describing sounds like Microsoft Project. Please clarify what you're working with. Where are you getting the source data from?

Upvote 0
You said you have macros in Excel but everything you're describing sounds like Microsoft Project. Please clarify what you're working with. Where are you getting the source data from?
I'm working with Microsoft Excel VBA code & the results yield a .mpp file for Microsoft Project.

Upvote 0
If I use Application.Tasks(x).Duration = "0d" for all of the subtasks under a summary task (which is the duration that I would expect for subtasks that should be "milestones"), I only see the left half of the earliest milestone shape at the left-most end of the summary task Gantt bar & only the right half of the latest milestone shape at the right-most end of the summary task Gantt bar. *NONE* of the milestone shapes in between are visible. It's as if the summary task Gantt bar is in the foreground & the milestone shapes are in the background (i.e. covered by the summary task Gantt bar) instead of showing "rolled up" in front of the summary task Gantt bar. However, the subtasks themselves each show up as their respective colored shape, which is expected/desired. [see Scenario2 image attached]
Do you still need help on this?

Does this happen if set the tasks up exactly the same way manually in the same Project file?

If you provide your code I will try to reproduce the issue. There is not much information in your screen shots except to show the manifestation of the problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back