phantom Excel process with remote VB6 dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalbatros

Hello,

I remoted most of my number crunching stuff to a dll.
It work fine except for a few strange things that I observed like from time to time a strange message "Error in loading DLL" even though everything works fine. This message appears only when entering the main formula in the formula, and is no problem at all in usual work.

When I investigated, I noticed in the "windows task manager" that one instance of excel remains open even after I have closed excel. This phantom excel process is maybe related to the other problem I explained above.

How does my application work? Very easy!
Instead of calling a VBA function, it creates a VB6 object from this dll and uses the methods of this object. In this way I have remoted the number crunching functionality.
The main parameter passe in this process is a reference to the original workbook. I need it because the number crunching functions need to read data from the workbook.

I made it sure to terminate the life of the object properly on both sides by ad hoc obj=Nothing statements.
Still I think that the "garbage collection" or the "terminating" is the cause of the problem.

Any idea?
I would appreciate your suggestions quite a lot since I want to make everything clean and safe for my end users.

thanks

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlopez0320

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back