Print to .pdf file using VBA

ArfArfArf

Board Regular
Hi

I'm trying to write VBA code take the Print_Area of a spreadsheet and print it to a pdf file, and I'm having some trouble with this.

There are two ways I'm considering (which may not be the best ways)

1. Highlight the print_area then press print, and check print to file. The issue here is that I can only appear to save it as 'Filename.xps' not .pdf (I assume I'd need to have some 3rd Party pdf addon to make this work?
Also I'm getting no clues for the code as recording the basic steps doesn't show much after I stop recording. So, if this is the best way to do it, what am I missing re addon, and what would the code look like please?

2. The second way is use of range.printout. According to Help the syntax is

expression.PrintOut(From, To, Copies, Preview, ActivePrinter, PrintToFile, Collate, PrToFileName)

However, there is no example of syntax in the Help menu, and it keeps returning an error code that isn't helping me find the solution...so..
- can anyone give me some example code that allows me to create a pdf file. I assume I don't have to specify a printer given I'm printing to file, but if I do, be aware I don't actually have one, so only printer option is XPS Document Viewer (not that this creates pdf...)

Thanks for reading this.

I have found a temporary solution where I copy the print area to a newly opened excel workbook then save this as a NewFile.pdf, then close the temp excel sheet without saving. However, it doesn't seem very elegant, and I'm worried about the processing time when I start running reports (the idea of all this is to create files to email to club members, and we're about 120 people)

ArfArfArf

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Have you looked at ExportAsFixedFormat?
Code:
        ActiveWorksheet.ExportAsFixedFormat _
                Type:=xlTypePDF, _
                Filename:=FilenameStr, _
                Quality:=xlQualityStandard, _
                IncludeDocProperties:=True, _
                IgnorePrintAreas:=False, _
                to:=150, _
                OpenAfterPublish:=False

Upvote 0
Finally! I've looked everywhere for a one-step solution like this and it works, the first time, like a charm. Thanks so much!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back