Random Numbers in a certain mean and standard deviation

TheCase

Board Regular
Hi,

I need to generate 20 random numbers that have the mean of 5.55 and standard deviation of 2.9065 I used this

=NORMINV(RAND(),5.55,2.9065)

Although everytime I refresh, F9, it the numbers don't fit the target mean or standard deviation it keeps changing for example one set of data might fit the mean of 5 another 4.1 .... any ideas?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hi,

I need to generate 20 random numbers that have the mean of 5.55 and standard deviation of 2.9065 I used this

=NORMINV(RAND(),5.55,2.9065)

Although everytime I refresh, F9, it the numbers don't fit the target mean or standard deviation it keeps changing for example one set of data might fit the mean of 5 another 4.1 .... any ideas?

Thanks
20 numbers with two conditions implies you have only (at most) 18 freely variable numbers.

If you like doing algebra you could generate 18 of them, and calculate the remaining two from the Average and StDev formulae.

If no real solution to that, and there may not be given that one of the conditions is nonlinear, then generate 17 and calculate the remaining 3.

But much easier to just use the Excel Solver.

Generate your 20 numbers. Calculate the Average and StDev in a couple of cells.

In Solver, put (cell containing) Average equal to 5.55 subject to the constraint that (cell containing) StDev equals 2.9065 by changing (preferably) all 20 cells (although fewer if you like).

Given the nonlinearity of the Standard deviation condition, the distribution of numbers you finish with won't be strictly the same as that generating your initial 20 numbers. I doubt this would be a problem for you, but I don't think there's a way around it.

Upvote 0
It would be useful if you could quote the cross-post at Excel Forum that you have made because shg and Gary's Student have both provided you with fairly comprehensive responses.

Upvote 0
It would be useful if you could quote the cross-post at Excel Forum that you have made because shg and Gary's Student have both provided you with fairly comprehensive responses.
Would you care to provide a specific reference to enlighten those (like me) who know nothing about Excel Forum?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdahsankhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back