Replacement for INDIRECT.EXT?

RosebudExcelGuy

For many years now, I have been using INDIRECT.EXT through MoreFunc to pull information from an external documents. I have just upgraded to Office 2016 (from 2007) and have discovered that my documents no longer work. So I need a replacement.

One of the big uses was in our budget. The salary information is in one workbook. Each salaried staff member has a separate tab in that workbook which serves as the basis of the employment contract. Relevant information is then pulled into the master budget.

I accomplished this with this formula:

=INDIRECT.EXT("'"&$F$1&A4&"'!$F$37")

The file name was placed in F1 and the staff member name in at the start of the row (A4). The formula would then resolve to something like 'F:\2018\[Salary Worksheets 2017.09.14.xlsx]John Smith'!$F$37 which put his monthly salary into this cell.

One benefit was that I could create several different scenarios and then test them in a meeting by just changing the file name. Also by needing the name in the master budget sheet to be typed in, it ensured I referenced the right sheet (since a typo created a REF error).

I haven't experimented yet with Get Data. That's my next step, but I don't think I can make it dynamic in the same way (referencing the names). I suspect the need to constantly refresh may be problematic, but that's just a gut reaction now.

Is there another function in 2016 that can dynamically pull in information? Or another add in that will work with 2016?

Mark

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
You apparently are not accepting messages.

Did you install the Morefunc addin and activate it on your Excel 2016?
Do other functions from Morefunc still work?

I have not used Morefunc for many years but some people advise that Morefunc still works on 32 bit versions of Excel.

Upvote 0
You still haven't stated if you are using 32bit or 64bit Excel.

Upvote 0
N.B. post #2
I have not used Morefunc for many years but some people advise that Morefunc still works on 32 bit versions of Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back