Scrape data from a webpage but no tables show up.

TedX

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have tried to grab (scrape) specific data from this free website but it shows no tables, despite having tables in the sourcecode. I checked out the code on this page: Newcastle Horse Racing Odds Comparison | 2023-01-17 and it goes on forever.

At the bottom of this image, there is a Market % row, which has 16 columns. I want to hit a button and have it poll that page on any race, or any other race meeting on the day (I realise I would have to manually copy and paste the webpage url into a dialogue box), and return to me, the average number of Market %. So in the example shown in the image below, the answer would be: 122.62%

I want to wait a few minutes and hit the button again and typically the % should be lower at say 121.57% and each time I hit the button, as we get closer to race time, the % should change and in a perfect world I might see 117%. Regardless of what the % is, I want it to appear in a specific cell of AD4 on my worksheet. So in the words of whoever said it, "How hard can this possibly be?"

1673962026388.png

Here is my failed attempt at grabbing data, from this page: Newcastle Horse Racing Odds Comparison | 2023-01-17

1673963135826.png

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
It sounds like the content is being generated with Javascript. When you're accessing it. You're accessing the code as it exists at one moment in time - it's likely that this website uses Javascript to retrieve the data over a period, to be rendered it in a browser.

You'll probably have to use Selenium or some other method to scrape these such websites. Always best to use APIs, if it's an option.

Upvote 0
Solution
It sounds like the content is being generated with Javascript. When you're accessing it. You're accessing the code as it exists at one moment in time - it's likely that this website uses Javascript to retrieve the data over a period, to be rendered it in a browser.

You'll probably have to use Selenium or some other method to scrape these such websites. Always best to use APIs, if it's an option.

Thanks Dan, I was one millisecond away from shutting down and going to sleep, it's the middle of the night in Australia. I don't know Selenium but I will tomorrow after I wake up, I'm sure there will be some tutorials about it out there, probably on YouTube. Thanks for the tip and I'll get back to you. (y) (y) (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back