Speed issues

msampson

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
A co-worker of mine wrote a macro for me to take some data and re-organize it. He hasn't learned visual basic yet so he still writes macros on a template that originated in Excel 4 (Macintosh). He is running on a Bondi Blue (first edition) iMac that has OS 9 and Excel 98 on it. It is a G3 at not a lot of Mhz - maybe 200 or so?
I have a G5 dual 2Ghz processor with 2.5 GB RAM and OS X.

His macro takes 77 seconds to process 4000 odd lines of data on his Mac. On my Mac with Excel X it takes 3 minutes 44 seconds and with Excel 2004 it takes 7 minutes and 30 seconds. On somebody else's iMac G4 with OSX it takes about 4 and a half minutes. On our Citrix server version of Excel (PC) his computer takes 18 seconds to run it and mine takes 28 seconds.

What's the deal?????? We had to jump through hoops to justify getting me this big a$$ Mac and frankly it isn't much better than my G4 iMac was and worse for stuff like this. :oops:

Is there a utility somewhere that can convert his macro language into visual basic to hopefully run faster for me?

thanks in advance for any help.
Maureen

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I don't know squat about VBA for MAC, other than that it and VBA for PC's don't cross-platform well. However, here's a partial answer to your question: VBA Converter for MAC

You might also take a shot at posting the relevant code in case there' a MAC whiz lurking about.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
bumping up to see if anyone else has any take on this....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piaskun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back