Spreadsheet corrupted - rebuild removes all pivot tables

bark01

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a spread sheet that every once in while won't open. Excel trys to recover it and removes all the pivot tables. Its happened a few times now. The pivots aren't complicated, there are no calculated fields and the source data is ~5k rows * 20 columns no complicated formulas just small range xlookups and basic if statements.

any ideas what causes this kind of error.

Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable6.xml part. (PivotTable view)
Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable7.xml part. (PivotTable view)
Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable1.xml part (PivotTable view)
Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable7.xml part (PivotTable view)
Removed Feature: PivotTable report from /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable11.xml part (PivotTable view)
Repaired Records: Cell information from /xl/worksheets/sheet6.xml part

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I wish I knew, though I haven't had a corrupted file in a while, I still remember the frustration.
The "Repaired Records: Cell information from /xl/worksheets/sheet6.xml part" is the interesting reported item from the repair.
In my past, I got around the issues by copy/pasting as values the data and then working back formulas and Pivot Tables. It was successful, a PITA and left me not knowing why it worked. I was probably ~500k rows and ~15 columns.

I am not on the Beta channel, but I want to say that I recently saw a new feature that is coming to diagnose issues in an Excel Workbook more advanced than the Inquire features.

Upvote 0
Had a similar error yesterday, log below.
Was playing around with date groupings. Have a power query that combines different data sets into one table and then pivot the appended data table.
Think the background data decided it had had enough for the day and decided the Pivot Tables no longer needed to be live so pasted as values but only on the visible pivots (and not all of them), there are a few unused older ones kept on hidden tabs which were not affected.
Luckily no one else had been in the doc so I was able to roll back a version. The error message seemed to scare anyone off of using the document until I had taken a look.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logFileName>error148400_01.xml</logFileName><summary>Errors were detected in file
'BLANK.xlsm'</summary><removedParts><removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable5.xml part. (PivotTable view)</removedPart><removedPart>Removed
Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable6.xml part. (PivotTable view)</removedPart><removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable7.xml part. (PivotTable view)
</removedPart><removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable8.xml part. (PivotTable view)</removedPart><removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable9.xml part.
(PivotTable view)</removedPart><removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable40.xml part. (PivotTable view)</removedPart><removedPart>Removed Part:
/xl/pivotTables/pivotTable41.xml part. (PivotTable view)</removedPart></removedParts></recoveryLog>

Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable5.xml part. (PivotTable view)
Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable6.xml part. (PivotTable view)
Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable8.xml part. (PivotTable view)
Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable9.xml part. (PivotTable view)
Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable40.xml part. (PivotTable view)
Removed Part: /xl/pivotTables/pivotTable41.xml part. (PivotTable view)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back