Taking one value from a list on one sheet and duplicating it multiple times in a list in another

RichieA

Hi all - a data entry question but on a scale that needs automation/formula to build:

In the example below, Sheet 2 is my master source of clients and values and Sheet 1 I am building from scratch as a sort of Account Plan/Summary "database" with actions (in the absence of a company CRM system). You can see from Sheet 2 that there is One row entry per Client name (of which there are 600+). In Sheet 1 though, I need to reflect these but need circa 14 row entries per client. Is there an easy way of automating this with a formula? Macros I know NOTHING about!

So I could build it so that the 14 Offices in Column B in sheet 1 are already entered and copied down the relevant number of times (600+) and then need to populate Column A with the relevant Client in blocks of 14. Does that make sense?

Or is there a way to tackle building it with 14 row entries per Client (from Column A in Sheet2) AND a corresponding Office entry next to it (from the column headers in Sheet 2?

Many thanks

RichieA

Sheet 1
Client
Office
Value
Next Action
Latest Event
Alpha Inc
Austria
£25
Arrange meet
Sold 1000 units
Alpha Inc
Belgium
£63
Supply goods
Visit complete
Alpha Inc
Canada
£564
Supply goods
Visit complete
Alpha Inc
Denmark
£34
Shut down
Shut down
Alpha Inc
Egypt
£67
Bravo Inc
Austria
£42
Bravo Inc
Belgium
£40
Bravo Inc
Canada
£32
Rugby
Lunch
Bravo Inc
Denmark
£56
Bravo Inc
Egypt
£40
Sheet 2
A1
B1
B2
B3
B4
B5
Austria
Belgium
Canada
Denmark
Egypt
Alpha Inc
Bravo Inc
Charlie Inc
Delta Inc
Echo Inc

<tbody>
</tbody>

OK -so whilst I can't supply company data, I have sanitised, but the layout isidentical to the original with data in the correct Columns etc.

Sheet 1 named "Clients & Teams". This is the sheet that Ineed to insert the multiple entries (17) per client name that is held withinSheet 2 named "Clients". The client names need to go in Column D. InColumn E, I have shown the list of 17 company teams through almost 2 cycles toshow the pattern. So when correctly populated there should be in Column D 17 entries for Abraham, against each of the Teams, then 17 entries for Allan and so on.

Sheet 2 "Clients". Here, this is the simple list of 20 clientnames for the example. The actual data runs to 600+. For certainty, it will beheld as a separate sheet within the same workbook as Sheet 1.

Mick - massively grateful for your input. As a learning exercise, if there isthe potential to add some narrative explaining what your code is doing, thatwould help me understand the workings a little better. I'd like to be able toget to a point of self-sufficiency rather than relying on the awesome advicefrom helpful people on this site (though that may be very aspirational!).

If you foresee any difficulty with the way I have represented the data - ie thecode won't work because it's still not a complete sheet, please let me know.With my basic logic, I assume that I could make small changes to the code toreflect more rows or a different sheet name - in the same way one would withformulas. But I have no code knowledge, so not sure if it works the same way.

Many thanks in anticipation

RichieA

SHEET1
Progress & Actions
ABCDE
£ 2014 YE£ 2015 H1ProgressClientTeam
2 Team1
Team2
Team3
Team4
Team5
Team6
Team7
Team8
Team9
Team10
Team11
Team12
Team13
Team14
Team15
Team 16
Team17
Team1
Team2
Team3
Team4

<colgroup><col style="width: 61pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2962;" width="81"> <col style="width: 52pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2523;" width="69"> <col style="width: 32pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1536;" width="42"> <col style="width: 179pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 8704;" span="2" width="238"> <tbody>
</tbody>

SHEET2

AB
RANKCLIENT
RankCompany
1Abraham
2Allan
3Alsop
4Anderson
5Arnold
6Avery
7Bailey
8Baker
9Ball
10Bell
11Berry
12Black
13Blake
14Bond
15Bower
16Brown
17Buckland
18Burgess
19Butler
20Cameron

<colgroup><col style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> <col style="width: 248pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 12105;" width="331"> <tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
From what you now show in sheet (1) & (2), directs me to alter my code so that each "Clients" name (from Sheet2) would be copied down column "D" of sheet1, 17 times. Is that what you want ????, And if so where would I get the "Team" names from ????

Whereas the original code Looked at each client in sheet2, then looked at the exact number of entries in that row, and took those entries along with the appropriate headers and places them in sheet1 columns A,B and C. Can I assume you do not now want this and would go for the Code in Paragraph above, ???

Upvote 0
Ah - I see! Apologies for the confusion.

In answer to your question in para 1 "From what you now show in sheet (1) & (2), directs me to alter my code so that each "Clients" name (from Sheet2) would be copied down column "D" of sheet1, 17 times. Is that what you want ????" In short, Yes. Because it turns out my master sheet (Sheet2) only includes 14 of the 17 Teams I require, I figured it was easier to manually enter the 17 teams in Sheet1 and then just copy the sequence down multiple times using the "fill handle". I guess that makes it easier - with the code not having to compute how many entries in another sheet etc?

So I think the code in Para1 would suffice.

(Let me know if you think my method of copying down the sequence of 17 teams using the fill handle is long-winded and could be done simply using anothetr method).

Many thanks Mick

R

Upvote 0
If you specify what the teams are, say, in sheet 2, the code could easily fill them, while it filling the clients. Just as you like !!!!
Let me know and I'll send some code.

Upvote 0
OK - so use Sheet 2 B703:719 for the 17 Team names, and I'll populate those cells before running the code in the actual worksheet.

Thanks for your patience!

R

Upvote 0
Try this:-
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG26Aug04
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, c [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, TeamRng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR] Sheets("Clients")
    [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = .Range(.Range("B3"), .Range("B1").End(xlDown))
    [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] TeamRng = .Range("B703:B719")
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] With
 c = 2
 [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Rng
        [COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR] Sheets("Clients & Teams")
            TeamRng.Copy .Cells(c, "D")
           .Cells(c, "C").Resize(17) = Dn
        [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] With
 c = c + 17
 [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Awesome Mick - that works, thank you! I had to tweak slightly to make the data appear in columns D & E instead of C & D - but that made me try and understand the code, so very useful.

Mick - many thanks for all your help, I'm learning here that Excel is much more capable than I previously thought. Whether I can now get internal sponsors to understand the power of what I'm compiling remains to be seen...!

Presumably now the macro has been run to create what I need, I don't need to save as a macro-enabled worksheet as it doesn't need to be dynamic going forward?

Thanks again

RA

Upvote 0
You're welcome
NB:- If you've placed the code in a new workbook , then you need to Save as "xlsm" to save the code, otherwise no.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aby2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back