BobB44

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
Hi.

We pay our employees a differential for hours worked during an overnight shift as well as on the weekend. So anytime worked overnight between 11 PM and 7 AM and one differential in any hours worked between midnight on Friday night (Saturday morning) through midnight on Sunday night earn an additional differential.

So, if somebody clocks in at 8 o’clock at night and works until midnight they would earn one hour of differential pay. I.e. 11 PM to midnight. I need two formulas that will allow me to calculate these two different differential based on the clock in day snd time and the clock out day and time.

I am completely stumped how to even begin this. Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
its best to use DATE/TIME to do date math, and you dont have to worry about midnight.
ex:
vTime1 = "1/1/2022 11:45 pm"
vTime2 = "1/2/2022 6:45 am"

= dateDiff("h",vTime1, vTime2)

or using cells
=(A2-A1)*24

Upvote 0
its best to use DATE/TIME to do date math, and you dont have to worry about midnight.
ex:
vTime1 = "1/1/2022 11:45 pm"
vTime2 = "1/2/2022 6:45 am"

= dateDiff("h",vTime1, vTime2)

or using cells
=(A2-A1)*24
Thanks. I am still having trouble.

How do I identify the hours that someone worked on the weekend separately?

E.g. If someone starts at 11:00 PM Friday night and gets off at 1:00 AM Saturday morning, I need my formula to calculate that they only worked 1 hour of the weekend time (i.e. on a Saturday or Sunday.

Upvote 0

E.g. If someone starts at 11:00 PM Friday night and gets off at 1:00 AM Saturday morning, I need my formula to calculate that they only worked 1 hour of the weekend time (i.e. on a Saturday or Sunday.

E.g. If someone starts at 11:00 PM Friday night and gets off at 1:00 AM Saturday morning, I need my formula to calculate that they only worked 1 hour of the weekend time (i.e. on a Saturday or Sunday
Part of my problem is that our timesheet software only gives me a clock-in date and time and then the clock-out time. It doesn't give me the clock-out date. I have been able to work out getting the overnight hours between 11:00 PM and 7:00 AM every day but stumped how to identify hours worked only one a Saturday or Sunday.

Upvote 0
Caculating DIfferentials .png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianm3y3r

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back