Unable to filter nonblank cells using Mutiple criteria for Range Auto Filter

dkum7526

The below function that i have customized filter the blank cells using "=" as criteria, however it does not filter "<>" non blank cells. Please help.

Public Function apply_filter(wksht As Worksheet, filter_field As String, ParamArray criteria() As Variant) As Boolean

Dim fieldNo As Integer
Dim last_row As Integer

Set HeaderRow = wksht.Range("a1").EntireRow

'On Error GoTo error_hndler
fieldNo = match_columns(filter_field, HeaderRow)
apply_filter = HeaderRow.AutoFilter(Field:=fieldNo, Criteria1:=Array(criteria()), Operator:=xlFilterValues)
last_row = find_last_row(wksht)
If last_row > 1 Then
apply_filter = True
Else
apply_filter = False
End If

Exit Function

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Dim fieldNo As Integer
Dim last_row As Integer
I'm not the best person to advise you on your primary request. However, it sounded interesting, so I took a look at how you wrote your code.
The one thing that stood out to me was that you're using the Integer Data Type for your fieldNo and last_row variables.
Considering the Integer only supports up to 32,767, I would at least change that to Long as it supports just over 2 million. This way you're not limited to only 32,767 rows, Column wise you're good according to this:
1676869503787.png

One thing I did was record a quick Macro that just filtered a column to exclude Blanks. This is what I got:
VBA Code:
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table1").Range.AutoFilter Field:=2, Criteria1:= "<>"
I'm not sure I noticed where your filtering BLANK cells based on what I'm seeing with my basic single-action recorded macro...
Hope this helps for what it's worth.

Upvote 0
xlFilterValues is the equivalent to OR, if one of your criteria is <> (not blank) then all the other criteria using the same column become meaningless.

I haven't full been able to test this but try
replacing this:
VBA Code:
apply_filter = HeaderRow.AutoFilter(Field:=fieldNo, Criteria1:=Array(criteria()), Operator:=xlFilterValues)

with this:
VBA Code:
If criteria(0) = "<>" Then
    apply_filter = HeaderRow.AutoFilter(Field:=fieldNo, Criteria1:=Array(criteria()))
Else
End If

Upvote 0
xlFilterValues is the equivalent to OR, if one of your criteria is <> (not blank) then all the other criteria using the same column become meaningless.

I haven't full been able to test this but try
replacing this:
VBA Code:

with this:
VBA Code:
If criteria(0) = "<>" Then
    apply_filter = HeaderRow.AutoFilter(Field:=fieldNo, Criteria1:=Array(criteria()))
Else
End If
Thank you very much for your help. I got it now that xlFilterValues actually means to filter values i.e non blank values. Appreciate your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back