VBA or formulas: randomize games for each participant

AcidKid

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I'm working on a sheet for a local Darts Club. We meet once every month, and I need to randomize the games for all present participants. I have an Excel sheet, and for each month I have a worksheet.
I can select the present participants in Column A. This is variable for each month (one month we have 21 participants, next month 18). I managed to get all unique games based on all participants I have.
So for instance; I have 11 participants, the formulas generates a list of 55 unique games that are available to play (I also have a VBA script that generates me the list). These games are stored in a seperate column (let's say column D, in this format "Participant X vs Participant Y")

The harder part of the work starts now: I need to be sure that from those 55 unique games, Excel selects 3 random games for each participant and put these in a new column (Column E).
Let's say the script works and starts generating for the first entered participant (Thomas):
Thomas vs Ben
Thomas vs Joe
Thomas vs Viktor
I have 3 games for Thomas, but also 1 game for Ben, Joe and Viktor. So these participants need to be assigned two more games. Ben is the second participant in the list

Ben vs Peter
Ben vs Joe
Ben now has three games assigned. Joe has two games assigned. Joe is the third participant in the list in column A.

Joe vs Viktor
Joe now has three games assigned. Viktor has two games assigned.
And so on.

I could go with a VBA script to select random games, but the part of 3 games per participant is giving me a headache. Anyone could help me?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Here's my VBA code for generating all 55 unique games
VBA Code:
Sub CreateMatchSheet()
    Dim players As Collection
    Set players = New Collection

Dim matchSheet As Worksheet
    Set matchSheet = ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Add

matchSheet.Name = "Maand"

For i = 1 To ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Deelnemers").Cells(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Deelnemers").Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        Dim player As String
        player = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Deelnemers").Cells(i, "A").value

Dim exists As Boolean
        exists = False

For j = 1 To players.Count
            If players(j) = player Then
                exists = True
                Exit For
            End If
        Next j

If Not exists Then
            players.Add player
        End If
    Next i

Dim matches As Collection
    Set matches = New Collection

Dim player1 As Variant
    Dim player2 As Variant

For i = 1 To players.Count
        For j = i + 1 To players.Count
            matches.Add Array(players(i), players(j))
        Next j
    Next i

Dim data As Variant
ReDim data(1 To matches.Count, 1 To 2)

For i = 1 To matches.Count
    data(i, 1) = matches(i)(0)
    data(i, 2) = matches(i)(1)
Next i

matchSheet.Range("A1").Resize(matches.Count, 2).value = data
End Sub

Upvote 0
The Round Robin code at this link will generate however many random games you need. The participants are also stored in "A". HTH Dave

Upvote 1
Solution
HI @NdNoviceHlp
Thanks for the link to that, it solved my question for the most part. I used the last posted answer there.

I ran it a couple of times, but I can see in some runs there are participants playing against themselves.. Is there any way to add a check to the code so we're not matching players against themselves?

Upvote 0
Hmmm. I trialed the code (again) quite a bit and it seems like playing against yourself doesn't happen so I really don't understand? The player names must be distinct. To start, the player names are in A1 to A whatever. Then on operation, Column C lists the name of the players with Column D to whatever listing whom they play in each game. So, player 1 is in C2 and the 1st game they play is against player in D2, the 2nd game is E2, the 3rd game is F2, etc. Not sure what else could be wrong. Dave

Upvote 0
Hmmm. I trialed the code (again) quite a bit and it seems like playing against yourself doesn't happen so I really don't understand? The player names must be distinct. To start, the player names are in A1 to A whatever. Then on operation, Column C lists the name of the players with Column D to whatever listing whom they play in each game. So, player 1 is in C2 and the 1st game they play is against player in D2, the 2nd game is E2, the 3rd game is F2, etc. Not sure what else could be wrong. Dave
I had a duplicate name in the list, yeah, makes sense!
Sorry for the misunderstanding here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patupaiarehe

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back