Why do ppl not at least try to improve excel skills?

Hello everyone!

Omg, everyone is so on point! We are all different, yet in so many ways, we are all the same -- and our love of Excel binds us together. Plus for those of us who _thoroughly_ enjoy the challenge of putting in a formula "just so" that will save X minutes/hours of tedious manual data entry, there's a big Woo Hoo when you press enter and that Excel ""magic"" happens. ? Well, ""magic"" to those who don't care to learn shortcuts or formulas.

For some it is just laziness. Someone else, or in some cases the harried no-time/patience-to-teach supervisor, will fix/correct whatever is needed, so that person will never learn how to do it because there is no reason to.

For others, it "seems" to be a mindset of "I know how to do it 'this' way, so that is the only way that it can be done. There is no shortcut or formula that will save any time or be more efficient. The task/work Will Be Done This Way." Say all that in a very dull authoritative voice . . :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

All we can do is make our work as efficient as possible, meet our deadlines, and repeatedly answer those "gee, how'd you do that?" or "what does that formula do?" questions . . . . :biggrin:

And, btw, as I haven't been here in quite a while, I hope all are well and managing thru whatever each day brings. ? ?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Very well said by all,

I have experienced (due to a high turn over rate) at work where someone creates a sheet for work and has plenty of bells and whistles in the sheet/workbook only to be turned over to the next person who can not understand the formulas or links and either starts over with their own version or goes back to a manual way of doing things. only to be turned over again to the next person who says why are we doing it this way and re-creates a new workbook slightly different from the first.

I find if you keep it simple but can complete the task at hand, more often than not the people using it will keep using it, and that tends to be the reason a simple sheet will last for a long time in an office environment.

It's not that people are all lazy and don't want to change it, it is more that it works currently for what we need so don't make it hard for the next person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylsteve

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back