Word Mail Merge - Using specific tables in Excel rather than the whole worksheet

RichCowell

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I've got a worksheet that's part of quite a large workbook to help organise events and contacts.

I do about 18 events a year, so it's not practical to do them all on separate worksheets.

I all the events in rounds - 3 rounds of 6 meetings.

All the rounds in each meeting are side by side, with the contacts for those meetings in individual tables underneath.

There are v-lookups in place to grab the contacts for the relevant companies - and it all works nicely.

However - I need to do mailmerges to the contacts, and currently have to copy those into a separate worksheet - or set a separate workbook to copy those to individual worksheets and update automatically etc. - which is a complete faff...

Does anyone know of a way of getting Word to look at specific tables for mailmerge data rather than just the whole worksheets?

Scaled down screenshot attached for reference.

Contacts tables include the forename of the main contact, their email address, and the email address of an additional contact as I use a plugin in Word that CC's from separate fields.

I'm not holding my breath, but it'd save me loads of time if this was possible.

Thanks,

Rick

Attachments

• 2023-02-03_075208.png
    2023-02-03_075208.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Just bumping this, feeling hopeful but not holding my breath!
It doesn't seem that complicated for Word to be able to look at a table rather than a whole worksheet... does it?

Upvote 0
@jdellasala - thanks for that - I'm not looking for help with mail merges - I've been doing those for years.

I'm looking for a way to specify a table in a spreadsheet to use as the source for the mail merge, rather than a whole worksheet, as mentioned in the OP.

Upvote 0
@jdellasala - thanks for that - I'm not looking for help with mail merges - I've been doing those for years.

I'm looking for a way to specify a table in a spreadsheet to use as the source for the mail merge, rather than a whole worksheet, as mentioned in the OP.
In Word 365, while only Sheets are listed, Word will automatically select either a Named Range or Table depending on which is in the sheet.
You should update your Profile and indicate which version of Excel (and presumably Word) you're using so people that try to help know what you're using.
I'd be surprised if Word 2016 didn't recognize Tables automatically, but I haven't used it in a long time.
If you are using a different version, the link will still work!

Upvote 0
The sheet in question contains numerous tables, and there are no options I can see to specify anything other than the worksheet.

Thanks for the tip re. my profile - it's updated now - I've probably not looked at the profile since I joined in 2013.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back