Operating very Slow.

raels

Greetings all.

I am running Win XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service pack 2

Celeron CPU 2.53 GHz and 512 MB RAM.

ANd Office 2003

For some reason, Excel ir running painfully slow.

Any time I merge a cell, insert a column, change a color or even just plain type in a cell there is at least a 20 second to 1:00 minute + delay between the time I issue the command and the time the computer finally does it. During that time period, if I try and do anythign else, I get "Not Responding" from the excel program.

So far, I have defraged my hard drive, gotten rid of all my temporary files, rebooted the computer multiple times. Gotten rid of most of my startup icons. I've checked for updates with Microsoft and I am current. But still nothing. It just will not work up to speed.

Furthermore, these are not big formula spreadsheets that I am making. They are only basic tables about 30 rows long and 12 columns wide. Nothing special, no weird filters or mathematics going on. They are just worksheet templates for me to print out and fill out by hand. I have no idea what the problem is.

Someone please help me. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is worng.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
How about it when you run another program?
have a try to close some threads you have opened before.

Upvote 0
Do you have any anti-virus programs running? It might be worth switching them off and seeing if that makes a difference. Likewise any firewalls/spyware removal progs.

Richard

Upvote 0
Nope, nothing yet.

It seems to be slow with excel only. All the other programs I regularly use seem to be working fine.

I've turned of my McCaffee and my windows firewall and there has been no improvement.

It is still very slow. It REALLY is slow when I try and change the width or height of rows. Or when I do a page preview. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. While I am waiting I pull up the task manager screen and for some reason, it gave told me that Excel was "Not responding". The weird thing is, there were TWO Excel's not respoding and I had only had one workbook open. I don't know if that information helps or not. Strange.

Thank you again for your help.

Upvote 0
Hello again,

I'm still having issues. I've been able to make due by using my Excel at home, but I really need to fix whatever is wrong with my work computer.

So far I've completely unistalled and the reinstalled microsoft Office. I've e-mailed the files to my home computer (and it works fine there so its not a corrupt workbook). I've turned off any security, firewall and whatnot, and still nothing is happening. I am truely at a loss as to what I should do. I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's a wierd one.

I "fixed" my issue. I removed my default network print to a fake printer that doesn't exist and excel works fine. No problems.

I manipulate the worksheets and no freezing or anything. However, once I try to print to that network printer, everything freezes up and I have to open the task manager to get out of the program. Anyone have this happen to them before? And if so, how do I fix this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back