I am getting beat bad

Kavy

Hello, new to the fourm, my spelling is horrible and I will get straight to the question.

I have three (very long collumes). The first collume is just the equipment number. The second has numbers repersenting other information (aka 1 means to inspect). The third collume is the time peirod that you need to do the thing in the first collume (aka every 2 weeks or daily).

The problem is each cell has mutliple line breaks in it. For example one cell may look like this

1-4 & 8

and the cell beside it may look like this

weekly

daily

*note there are spaces in the second collume...

My goal is to have someone say we recived this equipemtn (aka a check box or something) and for the computer to make a calender of what days what equipment needs to be maintained.

I was using the code InStr(check + 1, Cell, ",", 1) before when i had everything separted in a differnt collume by commas, and this would tell me where the differnt strings started and ended. I then used Mid(Cell, check + 1, fun - 1) to grab that string (the variable are not that important here).

My big problem is i have no way of telling the code to stop at line breaks like i did with the commas.

I am looking for a way to maybe make a seimi colan after each line break, which i don't want to do manual being there is 1400 rows with an average of about 2 breaks per row and also two collumes. I tried using the list part of excel, but i am extreamly sketchy on it and it doesn't like blank line breaks. I also tried "Delimated" but it misses the spaces also. I would prefer just to use code also

Anyway, any help will be greatly appreated!

Sorry horrible spelling

Kavy

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Have you tried Excel's "Find/Replace"?
While in edit mode in a cell that contains your "line break", (more accurately it is probably a "line feed"), copy that space. Then use what you copied in Find and Replace. Replace with both your line feed and a colon.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply

Its not working to well, with find/replace it won't let me sepecify only the coullumes i want and also it doesn't find anything in the line break

Upvote 0
Maybe I didn't explain my suggestion well enough.

Copy one of the "line breaks" to the clipboard. (If it is truly a line feed character, you can duplicate it using Alt-Enter.)
Then open Find/Replace (Ctrl-H)
In the "Find what:" field, paste your invisible line break character.
In the "Replace with:" field, again paste your line break character folowed by a semicolon.
Click "Replace All".
This will give you the semicolons you asked for.

Upvote 0
thanks

I was using code any way and ended up using a string replacement. I used CHR(10) to find them. So far it was work great, i am a little sketchy that it may not account for something though

Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back