Using Access and Excel Together

RichardofHS

Board Regular
I created a Table in Access and a form to enter rows of information into the table. It was my first time and i think i did it right.

I have an excell sheet that looks like below... I want to be able to just type in the the product # and all other areas get filled in. The big space on the top is for an image.
_Single Cutsheet Template ++.xls
ABCDEFGH
41ProductDescriptionColorCenturyProduct#
43BulbTypeQtyBulbsComments
Sheet1

How do I do this?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
One way would be to add a second sheet and goto Data-->External Data-->New Database Query-->Microsoft Access. Follow the Wizard from there to select your Query and the fields that you want returned. Once set up, you can goto Data-->Refresh Data to update anytime the Access Table is updated.

Then in the sheet that you posted you can build VLOOKUPS based off of the Product ID #.

Although, this seems like a pretty round about way to do what you could do stand-alone in Excel (provided you don't have 65,536 products to list).

Why not create your Form in Excel and enter data that way?

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
cause not every job we sell has the same product...

What im doing is making a small book with all the product on that particular job.

We sell lighting to new construction apartment complexes. We have thousands of items.

My problem is I have too many books to do in a day and cant keep up ... Business is way good right now and I cant keep up. So I want to make it faster .. every minute saved is good.

Lets say we have 1000 items available... And this job want 20 of them... Ide like to be able to just enter the number in the appropriate cell and all the other information about the item in taken from the database and entered.. Including the image.

Upvote 0
Hello Richard,
RichardofHS said:
Lets say we have 1000 items available... And this job want 20 of them... Ide like to be able to just enter the number in the appropriate cell and all the other information about the item in taken from the database and entered.. Including the image.
You can't query images via ODBC or OLEDB that I'm aware of. Here's some OLE automation, how you will make it contingent is up to you.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Declare</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Function</SPAN> DeleteFile <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Lib</SPAN> "kernel32" Alias "DeleteFileA" _
    (<SPAN style="color:darkblue">ByVal</SPAN> lpFileName <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">String</SPAN>) <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN> test()
<SPAN style="color:green">' Example grabs Image1 from Form: MyLogo</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> fNum <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> bArray() <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Byte</SPAN>, cArray() <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Byte</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> lngRet <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> myPic <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Object</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> objAccess <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Object</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Const</SPAN> MyLogo <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">String</SPAN> = "C:\temp\MyLogo.Emf"

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> objAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application")
objAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase "c:\temp\myDb.mdb"

objAccess.DoCmd.SelectObject ObjectType:=2, _
        ObjectName:="MyLogo", InDatabaseWindow:=<SPAN style="color:darkblue">True</SPAN>

objAccess.DoCmd.OpenForm "MyLogo", 0, , , 1
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">ReDim</SPAN> bArray(LenB(objAccess.Forms!MyLogo.Image1.PictureData) - 1)
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">ReDim</SPAN> cArray(LenB(objAccess.Forms!MyLogo.Image1.PictureData) - (1 + 8))
bArray = objAccess.Forms!MyLogo.Image1.PictureData
objAccess.DoCmd.<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Close</SPAN> 2, "MyLogo", 2

objAccess.CloseCurrentDatabase
objAccess.Quit
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> objAccess = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> lngRet = 8 <SPAN style="color:darkblue">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">UBound</SPAN>(cArray)
    cArray(lngRet - 8) = bArray(lngRet)
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN>
fNum = FreeFile
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Open</SPAN> MyLogo <SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Binary</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> fNum
Put fNum, , cArray
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Close</SPAN> fNum

Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">False</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> myPic = Sheets(1).Pictures.Insert(MyLogo)
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">With</SPAN> myPic
    .Top = Sheets(1).[g4].Top
    .ShapeRange.Height = Sheets(1).[g4].RowHeight * 6.2
    .Left = Sheets(1).[g4].Left - .Width
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">With</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> myPic = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN>
Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:darkblue">True</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Call</SPAN> DeleteFile(MyLogo)

<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Use MS Query for the data. Ta da. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back