Calendar Control

colmcg

Board Regular
Is it possible to have a calendar show when a cell is 'selected'. For example if cell A1 is selected, either by a mouse click or using the arrow keys, the calendar control shows. When a date is then selected from the calendar it is placed in cell A1 and the calendar control closes.

I have read several other threads on this but they activate the calendar control from a button or a toolbar shortcut. If possible I would like the calendar to show when a cell is selected.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Russ,

Thanks for your quick response. I saw this link from another thread, however I am trying to avoid having to 'right click'. If possible I would like the calendar to show when the cell is the active cell having been selected either by a single mouse click or if the arrow keys were used.

Basically I want to force the user to enter a date in this cell but not have to rely on them right clicking or using a shortcut.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Just drop a calendar control straight on the worksheet (use the more controls button on the controls toolbox toolbar). If you name the cell in question something clever like CalendarCell and set the calendar's LinkedCell property to be CalendarCell then you simply need a single line of code in the worksheet's code module:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_SelectionChange(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)
    Me.Calendar1.Visible = (Target.Address = [CalendarCell].Address)
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
</FONT>

Not as fancy as the nice userform-based solution described at fontstuff.com -- but quick and easy.

HTH

Upvote 0
Greg,

Your right not, quite as fancy but it does the trick.

One more question if I may. How do I get the control to close automatically after selecting a date. At the moment I have to select another cell before it closes.

Thanks

Colin

Upvote 0
You could use the Click event handler on the control. At least for me changing the month or year does not generate a click event. Note that this means that the user has to "come back" if he mis-clicks the date (which is probably fine - just thought I'd mention it).

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Calendar1_Click()
    Calendar1.Visible = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
Greg,

That works for me too, thanks very much.

Sorry to be a pain but I have noticed that once the cell is clicked, when the calendar shows it displays the month/year last used. i.e. if the last date selected was in March 2006 then this month and year is displayed when the cell is next clicked.

Can I add a further piece of code to make it default to today's date when the control is activated?

Thanks for your assistance

Colin

Upvote 0
Colin

Try this.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
   Calendar1.Visible = (Target.Address = [CalendarCell].Address)
   Calendar1.Value = Date
End Sub

Upvote 0
Norie,

Spot on. Works a treat. Thanks very much.

I've one last question. The calendar control works great in this particular workbook as there is only one date to be input. However I was thinking of applying this control in another workbook where the dates appear in each row in column A. Again I am trying to ensure that the user only inputs dates into this column.

Is there a way to get this calendar control to show whenever a cell is selected in column A and then it would input the selected date into this active cell.

Colin

Upvote 0
Norrie,

Sorry the last piece of code you posted doesn't work properly. When the calendar shows, today's date is the default date and when I select my desired date it appears in A1 and the calendar control closes. However when I click into another cell the date changes in cell A1 to today's date.

Can you help please.

Colin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back