help! create Print Macro or Button

Jeannie

Hello -

Can anyone tell me how to create a print macro or print button that will enable me to print multiple worksheets in a workbook with the click of a single button.

Is there a way that the button can be on the workbook itself, or as a new button on my toolbar.

I don't know how to program in VBA.

Right now I need to go to every worksheet and hit select print from the file menu, or hit the print button.

Thanks -
Jeannie

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Hi Jeannie,

Maybe you could adapt something like this ...

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> JeanniePrints()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> ws <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> ws <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ws
            .PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=<SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> ws
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
Hi, Jeannie, and welcome to the board.

Did you know that you can select multiple worksheets at the same time (shift-select the first tab of multiple sheets, and shift-select the last tab in the group for a continuous group of sheets OR cltrl-select individual sheets, when you want a discontiguous group), and when you hit the print button, all sheets print in order.

This will be useful for you to know in any case, whether you still decide you want or need a macro or not.

Chris

Upvote 0
Heya Jeannie & Welcome to the Board!

PM me your e-mail addres and I'll send you a workbook that has a button to call a macro routine that allows you to select individual worksheets to print or all of them.

Smitty

(Heya Zack!)

EDIT: The following code will bring up a temporary dialog box with a check box next to each sheet that can be printed. To use it, right click on the worksheet tab where you want the button and select View Code. Paste the code in the window that opens. Hit ALT+Q to exit VBA and display the Control Toolbox (View-->Toolbars). Draw a Command Button on your sheet, name it Print or something like that, exit design mode and click the button to call the code.

<font face=Tahoma><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> CommandButton1_Click()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> TopPos <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> SheetCount <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> PrintDlg <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> DialogSheet
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> CurrentSheet <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Worksheet
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> cb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> CheckBox
    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Check for protected workbook</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> ActiveWorkbook.ProtectStructure <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
        MsgBox "Workbook is protected.", vbCritical
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Add a temporary dialog sheet</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> CurrentSheet = ActiveSheet
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> PrintDlg = ActiveWorkbook.DialogSheets.Add

SheetCount = 0

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Add the checkboxes</SPAN>
    TopPos = 40
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Count
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> CurrentSheet = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(i)
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'       Skip empty sheets and hidden sheets</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Application.CountA(CurrentSheet.Cells) <> 0 And _
            CurrentSheet.Visible <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
            SheetCount = SheetCount + 1
            PrintDlg.CheckBoxes.Add 78, TopPos, 150, 16.5
                PrintDlg.CheckBoxes(SheetCount).Text = _
                    CurrentSheet.Name
            TopPos = TopPos + 13
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Move the OK and Cancel buttons</SPAN>
    PrintDlg.Buttons.Left = 240

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set dialog height, width, and caption</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> PrintDlg.DialogFrame
        .Height = Application.Max _
            (68, PrintDlg.DialogFrame.Top + TopPos - 34)
        .Width = 230
        .Caption = "Select sheets to print"
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Change tab order of OK and Cancel buttons</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   so the 1st option button will have the focus</SPAN>
    PrintDlg.Buttons("Button 2").BringToFront
    PrintDlg.Buttons("Button 3").BringToFront

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Display the dialog box</SPAN>
    CurrentSheet.Activate
    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> SheetCount <> 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Print as one print job (continuous page numbers)</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'        If PrintDlg.Show Then</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'            For Each cb In PrintDlg.CheckBoxes</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'                If cb.Value = xlOn Then</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'                    Worksheets(cb.Caption).Select Replace:=False</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'                End If</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'            Next cb</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'            ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut copies:=1</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'            ActiveSheet.Select</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'        End If</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Print as separate print jobs</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> PrintDlg.Show <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> cb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> PrintDlg.CheckBoxes
                <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> cb.Value = xlOn <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
                    Worksheets(cb.Caption).Activate
                    ActiveSheet.PrintOut
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'                   ActiveSheet.PrintPreview 'for debugging</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> cb
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN>
        MsgBox "All worksheets are empty."

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Delete temporary dialog sheet (without a warning)</SPAN>
    Application.DisplayAlerts = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>
    PrintDlg.Delete

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Reactivate original sheet</SPAN>
    CurrentSheet.Activate

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>
</FONT>

Upvote 0
Dear Firefytr, Blue Hornet, Penny Saver -

Thanks for your great suggestions. They work great.

Though learning VBA is hard.

Jeannie

Upvote 0
Smitty: It is NOT free. I don't know where you got that idea...

But it IS worth checking out.
DRJ is doing a terrific job...

Upvote 0
Smitty: It is NOT free.
Sorry, being a new Daddy also means that I'm a bonehead. (More than usual anyway!) All of your, Zack & and Jacob's (and others') work oughtta be paid for!

Apologies!

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back