how to pass a variable no matter what it is

miconian

Hi,

I understand (I think) that you can pass a variable to another routine like this:

Code:
othersub Target:=Range("A5")

But I want to pass the value of Target to another routine, no matter what Target happens to be at the time.

Basically I want to say:

"Okay, another routine is taking over now, and that new routine needs to know the value of Target, whatever it is at this point."

How do you do that?

Thanks...

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
miconian

You can use a Variant type variable as an argument of the other routine. Normally a variable named Target is declared as a Range type, but you can change it.

Code:
Sub Test()
    OtherRoutine [A1]
    OtherRoutine "Hey!"
End Sub

Private Sub OtherRoutine(ByVal Target As Variant)
    MsgBox TypeName(Target)
End Sub

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I still don't get it. Could you give me an example where the first routine is the worksheet_change event, and it passes Target to a routine created by the programmer?

Thanks...

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking...

Here is an example of how to pass a variable from one procedue to another. Let me know if this isn't what you want.

Code:
Sub RunMe()
    Dim Target As Range

Set Target = Range("A1:A10")

'Now pass target to the PassMeSomething procedure
    PassMeSomething Target

End Sub

Sub PassMeSomething(SomeValue As Range)

MsgBox "I was passed a Range object whose address is " & SomeValue.Address

End Sub

HTH
Dan

Upvote 0
Miconian - re your last post. Here is an example of passing in a variable from the Worksheet_Change event procedure into another sub:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

'Call an external procedure passing in Target
    MyCustomSub Target

End Sub

Private Sub MyCustomSub(SomeRange As Range)

MsgBox SomeRange.Address & " was changed."

End Sub

Upvote 0
Oh. That's it? You just give the name of the routine you're passing to, and the name of the variable? Hrmph. I thought it was a bigger deal. Thanks very much...

Upvote 0
Wait...dk, are you saying that the variable that was Target in worksheet_change becomes the variable SomeRange in OtherRoutine?

Upvote 0
I was in the middle of typing some long reply but then thought it would be easier to search instead:-

Take a look at : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...98/html/vbconpassingargumentstoprocedures.asp

Pay particular attention to ByRef and ByVal. If you don't specify either then the default is ByRef i.e. if you pass an argument from procedure A to procedure B and B change the argument, that variable will also be changed in procedure A.

These things can be confusing so feel free to post back if something's unclear.

Regards,
Dan

Upvote 0
I just got an "The object has disconnected itself from the clients" error, and now the code that was running fine to a point, is not running at all.

Basically, the code involves creating a series of validation lists, calling a different procedure depending on which column the target is in. I was passing the value with "OtherSub Target" and then starting OtherSub with (Target as Range).

But now, even if I change to (ByVal Target as Range), or even if I close the workbook and re-open it, the code won't run at all...drat.

Upvote 0
...and this seems to persist, even if I put everything in the same procedure...it's like code isn't connected to the workbook anymore.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andile

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back