HELP!!!!!!! XLS FILE NEEDS UNSAVING!!! IS THERE ANY WAY???

hydrocraig

I really hope you can help me. I have saved over an excel file which i didnt want to do!! I think i have lost all the work on it!!Is there any way of unsaving the file? The file was stored on the server drive and not on my local machine!!!!

Please Help!!! Getting Really desperate now!!!! :(

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Re: HELP!!!!!!! XLS FILE NEEDS UNSAVING!!! IS THERE ANY WAY?

The only way you can rescue this file in my opinion is if the server has been backed up with the correct copy saved, copy your file from the backup.

good luck

Upvote 0
Noooooo!!!!!!! Thats not what I was hoping to hear!!
No other ways? :0/
I'll try and find out when it was last backed up.

Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0

If you are not using windowsXP or other NTFS formatted system you may be able to recover the file using some freeware software.

When a file is deleted, if the disc is FAT32 formatted, it leaves a ghost image so even though it is not shown, deleted files can be recovered. Not sure if this is the same for an overwritten file, but if you have no alternatives it may be worth trying.

If you are using XP or other NTFS formatted system, then when a file is deleted, it overwrites the registry address with 0's and so is not recoverable - unless you have expensive recovery software.

May also be worth searching your temp folder incase there is something salvagable in there.

Upvote 0

Hi George,
Just so has it that the server was backed up last night so problem has now been sorted now! Thanks again for getting back to me regarding it anyway.

Going back to software for FAT32 systems....Do you have any recomendations on which one to get? I really hate installing software now as you just dont know if spyware has been attached or not!!!

Thanks again

Craig.

Upvote 0

Directory snoop http://www.download.com/3000-2248-10011686.html

is one that i used to use. when the trial period expired though, i didn't buy. Do not put it on your computer at work without it's permission and checking the licence requirements. I used it at home.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back